• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Pa-10 reliability upgrade help

MDWeaponry

Thanks everyone! It definitely didn't hurt to have a buddy with a spotting scope to tell me how far off my hits were. 

I was honestly really shocked to get any hits at all with that ammo, much less 7. 

Next time I’ll see what it does with some 168 grain Sierra match kings. I’m still going to make the upgrades to the buffer mentioned, and probably get a nice trigger, and adjustable gas block, but at this point I may just build a 6.5 creedmoore upper with a ballistic advantage or criterion barrel for the extreme long range and keep this as a fun upper that can shoot even the cheapest ammo pretty well. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes we just have certain combo's that fall into our laps that make the grade without having to spend a lot of time/funds on special barrels, triggers, and working up custom hand-loads to get acceptable results down range from them.

I've had a few over the years, but more often than not the real "tac-drivers" have required some extra effort on my part to get them punching dime size holes down range at 100 yards or so.

Sounds like you've got a winner here for sure.......Cliff

So yesterday I was ground hog hunting on a fresh cut hay field, and nothing going on (the ground hogs didn't read the play book that morning).  Before I loaded up and headed back to the house I picked out a dead tree in another field to the NW of where I was set-up.  With the morning sun lighting up the white trunk I just couldn't resist the temptation to throw a couple of rounds at it.  I've never shot this rifle much past 300 yards but can't ever remember missing a ground hog with it.

It's nothing special, Rock River lower with a PA free floated 16' barreled upper, 5.56 1-7 twist.  It's one of their chrome lined hammer forged barrels not the cheaper nitrided stuff.  I've got a Nikon 4-16X with AO on it in a Nikon one piece mount.  It favors PMC X-Tac and shoots groups under 1" at 100 yards with ease.

The distance to the tree is unknown (didn't have my rangefinder with me) but it's out there at least 700yds as it's 250 to the fence and at least another 450 or so into the next field (slightly down hill from my set-up position).  Anyhow, nothing scientific here, just laying over a big round bail and picking a spot about 10-12' up on the tree and cranking off three rounds at it.  To be perfectly honest at that distance I never even thought I would be able to find any of the rounds. 

Got to the tree and as expected didn't see any obvious hits.  A little closer inspection and I found all three hits really low on the tree, at least 5' below the point of aim but all grouped relatively close together (about 4" group or so).  The knife is showing the lowest hit and I'm pointing to the two upper hits.  Although a bit crude far as the circumstances go it does show that one can put together a pretty economical combination that makes the grade without using custom hand loads or really big-buck anything.........Cliff

IMG_1020.jpg