• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

260 loads

Radioactive

I'm running heavier projectiles.  147gr Hornady ELD-Ms.  RL-22, 43.0 grains, resized Hornady .308 Match brass, neck turned with KM Precision turning die, CCI 200 primers.  2650 fps from a 20" rifle gas Wilson Combat barrel.  I'm moving to CCI 34 primers and see how it does.

As it is now, this gun can paint a Mel Gibson Lethal Weapon smilie face target on full-size IPSC steel plate head at 300 yards.  It's just stupid accurate.

Edited by 98Z5V

I've got two cases of 139gr Lapua Scenars to test through the .260 in the coming month-ish, so stay tuned for the details.  I'd leave the 123s for the 6.5 Grendel guns, and move to something heavier for the .260 Rem, if I were you.  I have lots of time on both now, so that info isn't given lightly.  :thumbup:

P1080351.JPG.acf4e71a1b82d7276c05fa29e407cc6c.JPGP1080352.thumb.JPG.bd09d36d21fd6fd97f39ba0c5c9a1d9b.JPG

If I'm making a Hunting-Only load, to 500 yards, this is what I load - Barnes 120gr solid-copper TSX hunting projectile, same brass and CCI 200 primer I mentioned above, Accurate 2495 powder at 37.4 grains.  I'll take this all day long, on a hunt.  TSX projectiles are devastating on game.

P1060702.JPG

What twist?

I have 1/8 and thought the 140’s would be about as heavy as I’d be able to stabilize

couple that with the mag length and I’ve read the long heavies become problematic

id like to run something in the 140+ range but am worried about stabilization so I figured I’d start with 140 and lower and see what it does

one thing I don’t want is to waste a bunch of time/money/barrel life chasing a pipe dream

this will be a fun target/steel gun for 1000 yard stuff. I have a bolt gun in 243 ackley that I’m happy with for hunting and a 338 win mag for the big stuff. My 5.56 ars are set up as defense/tactical shooters.

16 hours ago, Radioactive said:

What twist?

1:8" twist on the Wilson Combat Tactical Hunter barrel, 20" barrel with rifle gas system.  Stabilizes the 147s just fine, out to the 1200 yards that I've shot it to.  That gun had never seen any factory ammunition in two years, until I started testing NEXUS ammunition.  Everything through it, since day one, was handloads, prior to that.  I set my COAL to 2.785", and it works great. Mag length is never an issue.  If you have a good quality barrel, that load I listed will rip some shiit up, through a 1:8" twist. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 12:15 AM, 98Z5V said:

I've got two cases of 139gr Lapua Scenars to test through the .260 in the coming month-ish, so stay tuned for the details.  I'd leave the 123s for the 6.5 Grendel guns, and move to something heavier for the .260 Rem, if I were you.  I have lots of time on both now, so that info isn't given lightly.  :thumbup:

P1080351.JPG.acf4e71a1b82d7276c05fa29e407cc6c.JPGP1080352.thumb.JPG.bd09d36d21fd6fd97f39ba0c5c9a1d9b.JPG

Any idea what powder and charge those are running? Tried em yet?

2 hours ago, Radioactive said:

Any idea what powder and charge those are running? Tried em yet?

I've shot them, and they are accurate.  I haven't taken one apart yet, though.  NEXUS runs mostly Sierra projectiles.  I'll get one in the bullet puller this weekend and check the charge weight.  That'll give me some ideas on possible powders, or burn-rates based on weight of the charge.