• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Looking for a new hunting rifle

WonderMonkey

I'm ex military and am fond of the AR body style.  I know I could get a fine rifle and scope for cheaper than an AR body style but I want one.  Simple as that.  However I'd like to price out a good rifle for a fair price and then see if I can talk myself into it financially.

I like the looks of the Remington R-25 as well as the one in the banner up there... (look up!).  Obviously looks don't bring down game but if I can get what I want AND have it look nifty then why not?  Edit: I didn't notice that the banners 'up there' rotated.  There is an image of one in desert color... tan-ish.

So.... a .308 in the AR body style, can I get one to my door for $1000?  If I have to replace a part or two over a few years I'm willing to do that but I have to start with something that is "good enough".  I'll pick out a scope after get the rifle unless there is a package deal that I can't pass up.

Any suggestions?

I bought The DPMS Oracle for $1,000.  It has a chrome lined barrel and a flat top rail, forward assist and a dust cover (also came with 2-30 round mags).  I am very happy with it.  It is very reliable and accurate.  I am taking it on a hog hunt in November.  I also own the DPMS .308lr with a 24" stainless bull barrel I am very happy with it also.  Good luck to you.

I also have the Oracle, it's chrome moly not chrome lined.

I like it a lot for a short barreled rifle.  Mine shoots right around MOA without being free floated and just run of the mil reloads.  I'm currently shooting 175 SMK and 150 SP to same point of aim @ 100 and less than a minute apart @ 400.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the link, I'll read that for sure.  I would think that 500 yards would do it.  Right now I hunt in hilly country with some fields.  Obviously I want the most versatile gun I can get without being too generic.  The nice thing about the short barrel is carrying it through the brush... not as much snagging.

Again thanks for the replies, and I'll read that link.

• 1 year later...