• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Match grade barrels

HMC2RN

2 hours ago, HMC2RN said:

Hi

New to this site. I'm looking for input on what type barrel I should install on a 308 ar10 that will give me the best accuracy at 1000 yards. 

Thanks

Welcome to the site! To get out to 1k with a .308, I'd recommend a heavy profile barrel not less than 18" in length. Fulton Armory, Faxon, and Ballistic Advantage are all barrel manufacturers I would recommend, I'm sure others will chime in....

As Matt said, lots of good barrel makers out there that have off the shelf configurations or could build you a custom barrel to your specs.  I have a .308 LR with an 18" Ballistic Advantage barrel and wouldn't consider it a 1000 yard gun - more like 600 yard with an ability to reach out to 1000 yard if I was desperate.  You need to consider barrel, barrel length, and intended cartridge (what bullet, bullet weight, powder charge, overall cartridge length etc), resulting muzzle velocity and velocity at the target.  A 155 grain bullet requires a different rifling twist rate than a 168 or 175 grain bullet to ensure bullet stability and optimize accuracy.  Are you going to shoot off the shelf match ammo (Black Hills, Federal Gold Medal Match etc) or handload? 

I little more info would be helpful to the guys on this site or when talking to a barrel manufacturer:

- What is your intended .308 cartridge configuration?  Off the shelf, commercial match-grade or handloads?  What bullet weight - 155, 168, are 175 grain are popular.  My precision bolt action .308 rifle is configured for 168 grain cartridges (handloaded SMK 2200 or commercial Federal Gold Medal Match) whereas my brother's rifle was built to shoot 155 grain bullets (SMK 2155 or 2156 Palma handloads).  His rifling twist rate and mine are slightly different.  Same consideration would apply to a precision LR build.

- Is this a dedicated 1000 yard rifle or a multi-purpose rifle that is 1000 yard capable?  Goes to barrel profile, weight, and length and rifle overall weight and length.

- Off the shelf barrel or custom, what is your price range?

As an example, I built a 1000 yard capable LR in .243 Win using Aero Precision upper and lower receivers and 15" handguard.  At has a custom 24" heavy contour stainless barrel from X-caliber with a rifling twist rate to shoot heavier (for caliber) 95 grain bullet that I handload.  At the time, 3 years ago, the barrel cost me about $450.  I  shoot it at a 1000 yard range regularly and have competed in a few 1000 events with it.  As configured with a 24X Vortex optic, Magpul PRS adjustable stock, and Harris bi-pod it weights in at a hair over 14.5 lbs without a mag/ammo.   

Edited by BIGTRUCKNUT

• 3 months later...

Welcome to the 308AR community. Large frame accuracy takes much more than a good barrel, perhaps some luck with build...Criterion hybrid heavy barrel 22" might be a choice. Attached are some borescope pictures (gas port, crown, breach, land). The machining and finish look great...I am sure there other good options...

Criterion 6.5CM hybrid heavy 22_1.pg.jpg

Criterion 6.5CM hybrid heavy 22_2.pg.jpg

Criterion 6.5CM hybrid heavy 22_3.pg.jpg

Criterion 6.5CM hybrid heavy 22_4.pg.jpg