• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Camo Painting My 450 Bushmaster

Cliff R

19 hours ago, Cliff R said:

The sponge painting method yields good results as well and probably easier than using stencils or local foliage.

Sponge Camo is badass - I did up this Savage FV-SR with all Aervoe spray cans, with a sea sponge... 

FV-SRpaintdone.jpg

NICE! 

I debated whether to sponge or "fruit bag" and use foliage but forgot to buy a sponge when I was at the store getting supplies so grabbed up an orange sack and a fern from behind the shop and went at it.  There is a learning curve with that deal, but very quickly I figured out that if you want more pronounced detail keep the material very close to the work and the paint can as perpendicular to the work as you can and at least 10" away. 

If you get close or don't keep the netting close to the work it doesn't work nearly as well.  I also gave mine at least 30 minutes dry time between coats and helped it out some by warming things up with a hair dryer.  The next day I baked the paint in the sun for a couple of hours and it's on there pretty good.

I actually not a big fan of Rustoleum paint as it actually takes quite a while for it to "cure" compared to other brands.  When I paint Marine carburetors in the shop they get put in front of a 1500 watt heater for about 20 minutes then a minimum of 24 hours dry time after that to "set" the paint.  If you don't do those things that stuff can stay "soft" for days or even a week or so.......Cliff