• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

2010 Cactus Classic

bandit10-4

I was lucky enough to head out to Phoenix, AZ on March 6,7 for the 2010 Cactus Classic this year and we had a blast, the weather got crappy on Sunday but it was worth it.  I was lucky enough to get to know a lot of great guys and had a great time.  I left Vernon on thursday morning at about 4:45am, met up with a friend in amarillo and we made it out there on Thursday evening about 7 their time.  So long drive over 13hrs.  We got there just in time to unload the truck and get our loading benches set up and I even had time to fire a few downrange!  The next morning everyone really started showing up and it was an eventfull day.  I shot the smallest group I have ever shot .090, unfortunately not during a match, matches started on Saturday.  Oh and these are 5 shot groups.  The best group I shot over the weekend was .198 at 100 yards.  The match was a NBRSA registered match and is a very big event in the benchrest world.  The match was 100yd and 200yd including LV (light varmint 10.5 lbs or less) and HV (Heavy Varmint 13.5 lbs or less).  I have two LV rifles and 1 HV rifle but I really got one of my LV rifles tuned good so I shot it in all the matches all weekend, it is a Stolle Panda with a Hart barrel and a McMillan Edge stock Jewel 1.5oz trigger and a 36x weaver.  I shot the .090 with this one so it was definately shootin!  I also had the privilege of loading next to a very cool dude, Walt Berger.  He was a pleasure to visit with and Eric Stecker who now runs Berger Bullets was also great to talk to.  I really had a great time and cant wait to go back next year.  I will try to post some pics later