• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

2nd Test Firing - LR 45 Raptor

BIGTRUCKNUT

Going out this weekend to do a second test fire.  First test fire last Fall went okay.  Firing long 300 grain Parker Match bullets propelled by Lil Gun, the rifle loaded from an unmodified magazine, cycled, ejected spent brass, and locked the bolt back on the last round as it should.  At the time I didn't make up a lot of ammo for the test so I didn't get a chance to adjust the gas block to my liking.  In the few shots I made,  it had a noticeable kick when compared to my LR 308. 

At the time of the first test the LR 45 had a 16" barrel, mid-length gas tube, and DPMS 308 carbine buffer and spring.  I have since replaced the buffer tube with a BCM A5 carbine length tube (7 3/4") and machined my own "heavy buffer" to replace the stock DPMS carbine buffer.  The new buffer is made from stainless to an overall length of 3.25", accepts three tungsten weights, and weights 9.2 oz.

Is there anything I should be concerned about when testing it with the new, significantly heavier buffer?

2105847239_TysHeavyBuffer.thumb.jpg.4a1db3a0151c0235846ca16e7ddfb882.jpg  

Aero 45 Raptor.jpg

Cartridge Compare 243 308 45 Raptor.jpg

Edited by BIGTRUCKNUT

10 hours ago, BIGTRUCKNUT said:

The new buffer is made from stainless to an overall length of 3.25", accepts three tungsten weights, and weights 9.2 oz.

Is there anything I should be concerned about when testing it with the new, significantly heavier buffer?

2105847239_TysHeavyBuffer.thumb.jpg.4a1db3a0151c0235846ca16e7ddfb882.jpg 

FINE lookin' buffer, man!!!   Damn good work!

I wouldn't worry about a single thing, testing that buffer, at that weight.   Not at all.  Hell, blow-back pistol-cal specific buffers are commonly in the 7 or 8 ounce range.  I have one .308 Win setup that's running a 5.4oz buffer with another 3.95oz inserted into the carrier body.  Run it, and let us know how it goes...   :thumbup: