• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Slam fires a concern??

1500VHO

Okay new guy here, but not new to reloading or building an AR platform. With that said, I learned a lot from 98Z5V in off-line communications and from many threads here on the forums with the 308AR platform. I was having some issues with my new build, but I "think" (famous last words) that has been remedied. The gas port on the 20" Ballistic Advantage barrel was .086" (too small) and buffer was 3.75oz (too light) with a no -name spring. So I replaced the Buffer with an ODIN Stainless Steel body adjustable buffer. I put 2 - Tungsten weights in it (now 5.45oz) and a Sprinco Orange spring, along with drilling the gas port out to .095"... So the Gas system, and recoil/buffer system should be in balance.

So I spent today re-loading Federal once-fired cartridges with Federal 210M primers.... I have not loaded any powder yet. That would be IMR 4895 or IMR 4064 at about 42.8grs... The bullets are going to be Hornady 165gr Interlock BTSP. This combo of cartridges (Federal or Winchester), IMR 4064 powder (42.8gr) and CCI 200 primers works well in my bolt gun and when I tried it out in the 308AR it functioned okay. The bolt held back, no slam fires, no FTE, etc. Landing spot for the brass cases were at the 2-3 o'clock position. It was steel cases that were the problem, but that is another story.

I was going to go out tomorrow or Monday and shoot some rounds and test things out again with the new buffer weight, buffer spring and gas port mods. Then I came across this thread of re-loading. There has been a lot written about NOT using Federal primers. To use ONLY CCI primers or Winchester... I have a few CCI 200 primers left (12) and 1,000 WLR primers and 2,000 210M primers. So you can see where I'm going with this...

As a concern, I placed 3 (one at a time) empty cartridges in the 308AR with the bolt held back for each of those primers - CCI 200, Winchester WLR and Federal 210M. In all of those tests the firing pin left a mark on the primer when the bolt was released. It did not ignite the primer, but did leave a mark. I will not be using those primers going forward. I will be removing them.

Question: Should I be concerned about a Slam fire with the new set up of 5.45oz Buffer, and Orange spring???  I never thought to test these primers out on the 308AR before reading some information here on the forums...I really do not want to destroy the rifle or myself... BTW - I have another Grand baby coming in August and do not want to be a statistic before then...

Any ideas, comments or suggestions would be helpful... Thanks in advance...

Edited by 1500VHO
Additional info

4 hours ago, 1500VHO said:

Question: Should I be concerned about a Slam fire with the new set up of 5.45oz Buffer, and Orange spring???  I never thought to test these primers out on the 308AR before reading some information here on the forums...I really do not want to destroy the rifle or myself... BTW - I have another Grand baby coming in August and do not want to be a statistic before then...

Nopem I wouldn't sweat any slamfires.  Shouldn't be any problem whatsoever,  Out of spec (too long) firing pin is about the only thing that'll cause that in one of these platforms. 

Great!! Thank you!!

There is just so much MIS-information on the internet...   I used a Go and No-Go chamber check on the rifle. Everything checked out okay. As expected...

I also make sure the brass (ALL of the brass) passes with my 308 gauges and calipers. Trim length, OAL, Ogive, etc... I also make sure ALL loaded powder is +/- .1 grain.  42.8/42.9  ALL of the primers are set below the case head and the primer pockets are uniformed with an RCBS uniform die... So I think I'm doing everything correctly. I also crimp every completed cartridge with a Lee crimp die (just like you). Great minds think alike... If I was near you, I'd buy you a beer, whiskey and dinner for all your help.

It seems all the re-loading books use the 210M Federal primers as their go to primer. Never is WLR or CCI mentioned that I can find...

Thanks again for your service as well...  I figured you were in the military and probably in a police force somewhere. By your language, writing and matter of factness. My Dad did the exact same thing. Army Ranger (Korea 1950/51), then Lt in the Redondo Beach Police department - Southern Calif. and was the same way personality wise.  Please do not hold that against me... LOL

Take care,

Allen