• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PSA gas tube vs CORRECT length

suzukiray

2 hours ago, suzukiray said:

The tube extends further into the upper than I would like but can anyone tell me if longer is an issue, vs shorter like the PSAs all seem to be made?

I have no idea how many times I've addressed this specific issue, or PSA in general.  It's all in here:

The exact information that you're looking for is when I start a major RANT about "proper gas timing."  It's in there.

^^^  That gas tube protrusion is fine, and will not hinder your BCG travel, at all.  That's what we usually end up with on "the half-way barrels" on the gas port location.  AR-15 gas tubes are too short, and don't meet the minimum, but the AR-10 Carbine gas tube pushes it just past the midway point in the cam pin cutout - better than being too short, and it doesn't cause any issues with function.  Maybe you have a little LONGER unlocking time, instead of a SHORT unlocking time - but it's better for a gas gun to have the longer time, vs. the early attempt at unlocking, from a short gas tube.

This was your reply so I am going with your "Longer will be ok, shorter will be issues" answer. That was easy, thanks.

Edited by suzukiray

4 hours ago, suzukiray said:

^^^  That gas tube protrusion is fine, and will not hinder your BCG travel, at all.  That's what we usually end up with on "the half-way barrels" on the gas port location.  AR-15 gas tubes are too short, and don't meet the minimum, but the AR-10 Carbine gas tube pushes it just past the midway point in the cam pin cutout - better than being too short, and it doesn't cause any issues with function.  Maybe you have a little LONGER unlocking time, instead of a SHORT unlocking time - but it's better for a gas gun to have the longer time, vs. the early attempt at unlocking, from a short gas tube.

This was your reply so I am going with your "Longer will be ok, shorter will be issues" answer. That was easy, thanks.

Yep, that's the exact rant, on those halfway-barrels, with the in between gas port drilling...   Not LR-308 or AR15 location, and not AR-10 location, either - just in between.  That's what it looks like with the AR-10 gas tube in there.   Longer, and more gas timing is better than shorter, and not-even-spec gas timing.   :thumbup: