• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Increased gas port due to short stroking

I opened up the gas port on my Aero Precision M5.... it was running flawlessly while I had it set up with the Yankee Hill flash suppressor/ Superlative arms adjustable gas block, 16" Wilson combat Recon barrel / JP polished spring and 3.4 ounce buffer weight.... I had the adjustable gas block 25 clicks from zero (at 18 clicks, the Superlative arms gas block is fully open... added 7 more "bleed off" clicks to reduce gas).

Then, I purchased an AMA lil bastard muzzle brake. The brake works great, but it threw off my gas setup... it wouldn'tcycle... I clicked back to 18, fully opened, and it was still short stroking. 

So, I came home and drilled out the gas port from factory 5/64" to 3/32"...and, holy cow!! Now it's overgassed! Even at 40 clicks, full bleed off, it seems just a bit overgassed.... and, that's with a heavier 4.4 oz buffer weight. 

So, that's no good because if I ever run hotter ammo, now I can't adjust any further... 

Therefore, I just purchased an extra power orange Sprinco spring and a 5.3 oz weight.... I'm hoping this will bring it back to equilibrium... allowing some tunability... but, I should've just taken my 5/64" drill bit and wallered out the hole just a smidgin.. now, I've got too much gas running through the system... 

Parts arrive in a week... hoping for successful results 🤙🤙

What do y'all think about all this??

20221106_073434.jpg

4 hours ago, SolidBuilt said:

full bleed off

Were you ever able to adjust the bleed off far enough to stop function? I was never able to get the bleed off side turned up far enough to stop function on a 308 like the directions call for. You should be able to use the restrictive setting side to adjust your gas down.

8 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Were you ever able to adjust the bleed off far enough to stop function? I was never able to get the bleed off side turned up far enough to stop function on a 308 like the directions call for. You should be able to use the restrictive setting side to adjust your gas down.

With the factory 5/64" gas port, It would short stroke at 18 clicks which is essentially fully opened... any additional clicks to allow bleed off only decreases the gas...

Now, With the larger 3/32" drilled out gas port, I can't get it to Short stroke (stop functioning) at full bleed off/ 40 clicks... thats why I'm going to install the 5.3 oz buffer weight and increased power orange Sprinco buffer spring... I want to be able to have enough adjustability "range" to get it to stop functioning with enough bleedoff... (in case I switch to hotter ammo...) . 👍👍

Edited by SolidBuilt

21 minutes ago, SolidBuilt said:

get it to stop functioning with enough bleedoff

I'll be following along to see if you find that combo :thumbup: I started too small on a port but went up in small increments till I got reliability with all types of ammo so I wasn't terribly over-gassed, still couldn't get the bleed-off to stop function.