• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

just recieved rra lar 8 polymer mags

j lang

just thought id let everyone know the 20 rnd polymer mags are now shipping , both myself and a friend of mine just recieved our mags after about six months waiting , theyre a good solid fit in the magwell , and between the two us we ran through at least 100 rnds flawlessly .

Woohoo first post, hey everybody! I bought a Predator HP a couple months ago new.

I couldn't wait on RRA and just took my chances and ordered the metric version Thermolds directly from the Thermold website. RRA tech told me theirs were slightly different for the LAR-8 but I have around 100rds and they have been working great for me. They do look identical to the one pictured above.

I just wish Thermold or RRA would release a short 10 round poly now. I like the shorter length for hunting. James

Hoot,

I would say the Thermold mags have noticably less room then the steel but I have never actually measured. My hand loads are 2.80" OAL which is seems just about the max I could go. There maybe another .001 or .002. I know not what you wanted to hear.

My actual RRA mags will be in on Friday so I can do some comparisons.

hoot sorry i couldnt respond earlier , im working out of town and dont have alot of time in the evenings , my shop is not here at the house , hopfully ill be able to get you some dimensions this weekend , if it helps any , last weekend i was running hornady 165 grain btsp , also some south african surplus .

Here is a little photo comparison. Left to right metric Thermold, RRA Poly, RRA 20-rd steel . The RRA poly mags have a squared off catch (like the steel) and a very thin shim molded in under the catch to lift the front slightly. I noticed too that when locked into place there is almost no up/down movement. Both the Thermold and steel mags will push up slightly after being seated. The forward/reward movement should be a little less with the shim but I can't tell much of a difference. I doubt the shim is more then the thickness of a piece of electrical tape. It does make the front edge of the mag line up very nicely with the feed ramp. There was a little note with the RRA mags saying that 243 and 7-08 uppers should only be used with the LAR-8 mags not FAL by the way which I found interesting.

DSC04185.jpg

DSC04186.jpg

DSC04187.jpg

This is good stuff! Not to be greedy, but could you also post a looking down inside view, so we can see the followers from above? Looks like the raised part of the followers on the plastic mags is wider than the L1A1 mag. The roll-off of the narrower one seems to contribute to the problems I've seen stripping 260 cartridges.

Thanks,

Hoot

Now that is illuminating!

The changes in the lips make total sense to me, having spent considerable time slowly sliding the 260 cartridges forward and watching how they behave, or misbehave to be exact. Looks like the lip widening done about 1/4 the way back from the front, was done after they are molded.

Thanks a bunch.

Hoot

hoot , the max col measurements of my two mags are 2.822 and the other is 2.829

Thanks for the dimensions. While I got my modded metric FAL mag to run, it is hit or miss at times, so I'll probably order two mags. A shooter and a spare.

The web site says "Polymer .308 Mag" or similar. I'm assuming its synonymous with their polymer .243 or 7mm-08 one?

Do they kill you on shipping & handling?

Hoot