• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Seeking Buffer Spring Advise

BeeKay

My AR .308  is chambered in .308 Win / 7.62 - 51mm and i've been getting into working out some of the details to getting it running really well           

It has a 20" Barrel with Rifle Gas and a Fixed Stock with a 10" buffer tube   So I asked for advice earlier, on buffer spring replacement and a Sprinco Red Spring was suggested .

I ordered those about 2 weeks ago and they showed up about 3 days ago. I got a text from someone on the staff that orders were running late due to bad weather in Texas and I just ordered a few springs, because I have another rifle and it may be good oo experiment.

I tried calling Sprinco and for days, all I got was the answering machine, so I bought a Red and Blue and Green, because that was all they had in stock, and all the places that stock Sprinco were also out of stock.

I looked at their product info and most of the product description was directed at AR 15 platform applications, using carbine gas, with shorter buffer tubes.

I'll probably get on the phone  with their tech dept and see what I can learn. but I'm inquiring here just to find out what anyone recommends.

I also have a Tubb flat wire spring  -  And an Adjustable Gas Block - And a Heavy Buffer - And a Standard Buffer                                         

So I've got a bunch of possible combos to experiment with and I'll try everything.

I haven't fired it a lot and so far it seems okay but there's room for improvement.

Is the Sprinco Red or Green Spring a good choice for Rifle Gas System and a Fixed Stock ?     Or how about the Tubb Flat Wire Spring ?

Thank You  In Advance

3 hours ago, BeeKay said:

Is the Sprinco Red or Green Spring a good choice for Rifle Gas System and a Fixed Stock ?

The Red is.  Or, the Armalite EA-1095 spring.  That's all I'd use - but you better verify that extension length.  INTERNAL DEPTH is the only thing that matters here. 

The Green spring is for barrels longer than 20", sometimes, in Large Frames.  It's an M16 rifle spring, not a .308 rifle spring.

The Green spring is for use in A1 / A2 fixed stock rifle length receiver extensions (buffer tubes) with rifle length buffers. It is also extremely popular in intermediate depth (7.75 “ deep) VLTOR A5 buffer tubes with 4” A5 buffers. The spring design loads of the Green spring are those of a BRAND NEW mil-spec buffer spring.

The Blue spring is for 14.5" carbine (M4s) or 16" carbine 5.56 guns, as a stiffer spring.  It's not for Large Frames. 

Gas System doesn't matter - it really doesn't matter.  This is the Recoil System that you're working on.  Both need to be balanced, and we have the formula to get them balanced. 

Read this when you have the time - it'll pay dividends, down the road...

This thread right here is precisely why we have the Waterboarding Thread.  The waterboarding thread was blessed upon us, after having to ask questions forever, just to get accurate gun details from people - this isn't a dig on you @BeeKay - just a statement, for those that read here in the future.

Here's the Waterboarding Thread:

^^^ THAT is the level of detail necessary to diagnose a gas gun problem, over the internet, reading typed words from someone.  That's the information required to figure out what's going on with someone's non-operational gas gun. 

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

9 11/16 is what you need to be at, so measure closely.  If it's not 9 11/16" internal depth, then it's out of spec.  You need one more 1/16" for it to be right - or it's wrong. 

Got it - 9 11/16' internal length - I'll get on that tomorrow - Thank You for the reading material as well  -  I'm about to head out for tonight 

I was going to go do something else, but it was eating me up, and I had to find out... So it's 9 11/16"

And I'll go with the Red Spring

I posted last month and you told me use the  Armalite EA-1095 or the Sprinco Red. But when I inquired I was asking about a 16" barrel.  I had to do a bit of searching to find one and nobody was there to take calls. But it's 9 11/16" per spec and I'll run the Red Spring.  The spring that came with the stock/buffer tube kit is significantly stiffer.       

I'll get to that reading tomorrow, before I ask any more questions.  

18 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

This thread right here is precisely why we have the Waterboarding Thread.  The waterboarding thread was blessed upon us, after having to ask questions forever, just to get accurate gun details from people - this isn't a dig on you @BeeKay - just a statement, for those that read here in the future.

Here's the Waterboarding Thread:

^^^ THAT is the level of detail necessary to diagnose a gas gun problem, over the internet, reading typed words from someone.  That's the information required to figure out what's going on with someone's non-operational gas gun. 

6 minutes ago, BeeKay said:

But when I inquired I was asking about a 16" barrel. 

Barrel has nothing to do with it - that's Gas System.  Getting the Recoil System correct is the first part - balancing the Gas System to a proper Recoil System is what balances the two systems together, and makes a reliable gun.  Gas systems are easy, once you have the Recoil System fixed, for a Large Frame.  Gas Systems are WAY cheaper to fix - the money is in paying for proper parts to have a proper recoil system in the first place - you need enough ASS to control the MASS of the Large Frame BCG, the cartridge, and the force it implies when fired. 

Get out - go out and have a good night, man.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks for referring me to that information - I'll have fewer questions after I've studied that - It'll take awhile

On 2/10/2023 at 8:07 PM, 98Z5V said:

The Red is.  Or, the Armalite EA-1095 spring.  That's all I'd use - but you better verify that extension length.  INTERNAL DEPTH is the only thing that matters here. 

The Green spring is for barrels longer than 20", sometimes, in Large Frames.  It's an M16 rifle spring, not a .308 rifle spring.

Read this when you have the time - it'll pay dividends, down the road...