• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

M14 vs. .308AR Reloading

mineralman55

I've been loading for steel and wood rifles for a long time, but am at the beginning of the learning curve for all aspects of the .308AR platform. Are there any major reloading differences from M14s, or complications in the needs of the ammunition for a 308AR? I really like AA2520 and more recently TAC for the .308. Varget was good on accuracy but I found it produced too much gas and hard recoil for my M14. I don't see any reason to unnecessarily beat myself up. Thoughts?

• 2 months later...

You can almost duplicate bolt gun loads in an AR, no op rod to worry about.  Generally if it's too hot of a load for the gun you'll pop primers.  It's more related to the chamber dimensions from what I've seen.  I've run 4064 in my 16" with no ill effects, but that's as slow as I will go.  Currently working with Varget but don't have anything conclusive yet.  I have been using strictly LC brass and it looks like I'll be around 40.0 gr. with a 175 SMK.  RE15 is supposed to be the powder to duplicate M118LR from what I've read.  Haven't gotten around to trying it yet.  Maybe next.