• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rear Lugged M-14 type rifle.

NF1E

There have been some questions as to what a rear lug actually is on an M-14 type rifle on other forums. I pulled one of my Bula Defense Systems rear lugged XM21 actions out of it's stock so I could show what a rear lug looks like. Doesn't improve accuracy, but does tend to extend the longevity of a bedding job. This lug is drilled and tapped for an anchor but I don't use them, at least not yet, but always a possibility in the future. Whatta Hobby!

Rear lugged XM21.jpg

Rear lugged XM21 1.jpg

lug 1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've owned no lug, single lug, and double lug M1A's over the years. As long as the glass bed of the action is done correctly, they all shot equally well. Having the addition of a screw under the trigger guard into the lug ensures the receiver will be fully secured into the stock without relying on the trigger group is better. I used marine-tex repair kit as the bedding compound. Very hard, easy to work with, oil's and bore solvent doesn't hurt it. The stuff doesn't compress after many thousands of rounds so re-beding isn't needed. 

Photos look nice, happy shooting.