• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Wolf Gold Match ammo, .223 Rem

98Z5V

I've been wanting to try out some Wolf Gold ammo for awhile now (their match ammo), but not bad enough to order it online and pay for shipping.  Well, I found some at Cabela's (Wheeling store) last week when driving past.  I've read all kind of postings on the 'net about it, from one extreme to the other - "It's junk like all other Wolf, and runs like crap; not accurate," to quite the opposite of "Great stuff, not like other Wolf; most accurate stuff I've shot."  Hmmm...  <dontknow>  When I saw it on the retail shelf for $7.99 per box of 20, it went in the cart. 

It's brass cased, boxer primed (non-corrosive), and it uses real hollow point boat-tail bullets.  I picked up a box of the 75gr Match.  I also grabbed a few boxes of Prvi Partizan 69gr Match at $8.99 per 20.  Monetarily, it doesn't get any better than that for match ammo.

Much to my surprise, I looked it over really well once I got home - and the case markings are "PPU."  Hmmm, that's Prvi Partizan's case markings.  <dontknow>  Looked on the back of the box, and sure enough it's got PPU's symbol, and "Made in Serbia" right on the back of the box.  I don't know if any of you guys knew Prvi made that stuff for Wolf, but I sure didn't.  Kinda dispells what I've seen on the 'net about it being crap ammo, because I shoot Prvi Match when I can find it, and it's pretty good stuff.

Just passing along what I found out - might be old news to some, and new news to others.  It shocked me...  ;D

(These are Plus-Sized pics, for those with bad eyes - just click them and they'll get huge...  <laughs>)

post-71-136297263428_thumb.jpg

post-71-136297263431_thumb.jpg

post-71-136297263433_thumb.jpg

post-71-136297263436_thumb.jpg

but how does it shoot, maybe wolf is dumpster diving at the prvi plant  <lmao>

HAHA!!!  <laughs>  That is a possibility!  It'll be sometime in the first few weeks of June before I find out, but I'll line it up on an adjacent target with the (boxed) Prvi Match 75gr - I think I've still got 80 rounds of that, loaded in mags.  Side-by-side comparo.