• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

RRA 308 barrel nut wrench

ronzrx

Howdy Hoot and Tripledeuce, so you didn't have to do any grinding or polishing to the feed ramp even? I seem to remember somewhere reading the the LAR-8 has a more pronounced feed ramp because of the design around the FAL mags. I want to build a new RRA upper with a DPMS 260 barrel for my LAR-8 and this was the part that halfway worried me about the whole idea. Thanks James

I am so sorry for not replying to your post sooner, but have been busy, first with deer season and second with my 80 yr old Dad visiting from Maryland.

Certain things I do with any new AR class of rifle after stripping it down to components to clean and lube include doing a "melt-down" on the barrel extension to save undue wear and tear on my brass and polishing the feed ramp. So I can not say whether it made a difference.

Hoot

What's a melt down brother Hoot.Nice to see you'r back hope you are well.Dad's 80 God bless him. <thumbsup>

I'm doing good and Dad bagged a nice doe that is already in the freezer. I could have stuck to my philosophy that whatever God and good fortune send your way, you take it. I had two similar sized does walk up to me on opening morning and I let them pass, figuring it was opening morning and more opportunities would come my way. They wound up being all I saw the entire season, aside from a fawn that emerged seconds after the does walked away, trailing them. My Dad and I are normally meat hunters and take what we're offered. I now have a year to think about that decision.  ::)

Melt down is a colloquialism for removing all the razor sharp edges from the barrel extension using one of several methods. Fine stones work, but I prefer Cratex grinding burrs in a Dremel. They are rubber with different grades of grit embedded in the rubber and different form factors that remove metal at a very slow rate, leaving a mirror finish behind. I d the same for any surfaces that the cases come in contact with during stripping and extraction, including the underside of the feed lips in my mags. It smooths out the action incredibly well and lends a small degree of feed reliability to the operation. If you're running an upper receiver with no forward assist and occasionally find yourself having to ease a round into battery quietly, the reduction in friction is a big plus.

The obvious key is knowing when enough is enough and as slow as the Cratex burrs go, it's easy to gauge with my B&L stereo microscope. Disassemble and reassembly takes longer than the actual time spent removing the sharp edges. I emphasize that no dimensions critical to lockup integrity or strength are impacted.

As a reloader, I like my brass to come out minus the "vampire bites", nicks, dings and scratches. Many shooters do this to their firearms or farm it out. There may be a youtube video or two out there on it, not to mention plenty of how-to threads. It's not restricted to just the AR platforms, but usually not necessary in more conventional "hunting" rifle platforms. The look after you are done, resembles a sharpy cast piece of work that had all the rough or sharp edges melted off, hence the term.

Google will turn up plenty of examples and images.

Hoot