• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

RRA 308 barrel nut wrench

ronzrx

Does anybody have the rock river arms 308 barrel nut wrench I could buy or borrow I finally got the parts to put my new upper together 20" threaded varmint barrel waited 130 days & they still dont have the barrel nut wrench in stock I need it for like 5 minutes to put this thing together I cant wait to shoot it Thanks Im a new member here just heard about site from someone on enos site

Fishing stories have now reached an all-time high....  <laughs>

So anyways, this thread was originally about a different kind of nut wrench....  ;)

Having never dealt with RRA, I don't know whether their barrel nuts differ from standard AR barrel nuts.... Can anyone here help our friend with that?

• 2 months later...

I actually have one on order along with some other parts.  The problem is that even on parts there is a 60 to 90 waiting period.  The not knowing is what's killing me.

Tom

Parts and accessories, that are not part of a complete rifle or complete upper, should ship with 7~10 business days.  That's their current policy, and has been for a long time now.

Last statement in this notification:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=452

I called RRA this morning and the nice lady on the phone said that the barrel nut wrench was on indefinate back order. :-[  She also pointed out that the order was to be complete before shipping.:o I had her change that to ship each item as it becomes available.  A friend of mine is a professional machinest and I think I'll have him make me a wrench.  Actually he could probably make a small batch that we could offer for a small fee to others.  I wonder how much interest there would be for them?  Let me know if you guys would be interested in a wrench and what you think would be a fair price.

Thanks,

Tom

Update.....I ordered three dirrefent wrenches last week.  Two from Miday at about $22 each and one form Brownells that was $70 after shipping.  The first to arrive were from Midway.  Neither of them fit.  One was close and a little modification to one pin and it would have worked.  Monday I got the one from Brownells and my prayers were answered!  It fit the standard barrel nut and it even fit the free float tube nut that I will be using.  Here is a link: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24190/sku=851-115-001/Product/-308-Armorer-s-Wrench.  Now your milage may vary but this wrench works for me

Good Luck,

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

As much as it pained me to do so, I took my 3-pin nut wrench and ground off the center pin. NBD getting two pins to line up. I don't like not having the 3rd pin like every other nut I own uses (thanks a lot RRA), but the two remaining have not shown any undue suffering from having the shoulder the burden. $70.00 for a proprietary nut wrench is extortion. Unavailability is insult to injury. Message received. "We want you to buy entire uppers and not be able to save a little money by discovering that DPMS barrels fit just fine." >:(

Hoot

Hoot,

So you were able to use a DPMS barrel on a RRA upper?  Also, which wrench did you modify?  Was it just a standard DPMS wrench?

Thanks,

Tom

Yes Tom. A 24" DPMS 260 Rem barrel to be precise. Fit like a glove. A bit front heavy though given how light the Predator HP is. Some weight in the A2 stock rebalanced it out though. Also yes, a DPMS nut wrench. Seems like this is a well kept secret for some reason. Triple Deuce used one also, but in his case, I believe he kissed the chamber for a little more breathing room. Mine headspaces tight, but not dangerously so. Actually feels like a custom lap to fit job. Perhaps I was lucky though. I guess a lot depends upon how closely DPMS barrels are toleranced from one to the next. I probably should get a dedicated bolt for the 260 instead of sharing the 308 bolt between the two. This summer was a poor one for disposable time and I didn't get as much opportunity to work up both calibers as I would have liked. Now we're sliding into deer season prep, followed by a long, cold, winter up in these parts. I look forward to having back at it next spring though.

Hoot

As an interesting aside: While my chamber was a "tight" go, simply turning the reamer by hand removed several thousandths from the diameter of the chamber.

The aside is-  the rifle shot BETTER with the chamber opened to min specs.

Even the benchresters know that that there has to be a slight , but real space for brass expansion.

Respectfully

Terry

Terry's experience, which preceeds mine, may well be a testimony to the "diversity" of DPMS tolerances. With my barrel, I can take my stripped bolt and drop a Go gauge into the chamber. Then put the bolt into battery by rotating it firmly pinched between my thumb and index finger. Ditto on factory new brass. That having been said, fired brass exhibits zero shoulder advancement, which probably is not the best setup for the pressure curve. Feeds and extracts fine though. Again, I need to spend more time with it aside from the functional test and a couple of loads I tried last spring.

Hoot

• 4 weeks later...

Terry's experience, which preceeds mine, may well be a testimony to the "diversity" of DPMS tolerances. With my barrel, I can take my stripped bolt and drop a Go gauge into the chamber. Then put the bolt into battery by rotating it firmly pinched between my thumb and index finger. Ditto on factory new brass. That having been said, fired brass exhibits zero shoulder advancement, which probably is not the best setup for the pressure curve. Feeds and extracts fine though. Again, I need to spend more time with it aside from the functional test and a couple of loads I tried last spring.

Hoot

Howdy Hoot and Tripledeuce, so you didn't have to do any grinding or polishing to the feed ramp even? I seem to remember somewhere reading the the LAR-8 has a more pronounced feed ramp because of the design around the FAL mags. I want to build a new RRA upper with a DPMS 260 barrel for my LAR-8 and this was the part that halfway worried me about the whole idea. Thanks James