• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

daytime run n gun optics

Hey guys, I'm a lurker here; but I have a question for you experts. I picked up a flat top Armalight AR-10 and a ATN night vision scope (needs better illuminator). I really need a daytime scope for this AR-10 rifle! I will be using it as over the shoulder gun for this fall for coyotes n such that seem to just stay out of shotgun range. I usually carry my Savage .223 bolt action that's a bore barrel. It's not that I "need" the 2nd shot; but these darn coyotes come in pairs n a second shot on the farther out 2nd coyote would be nice as they usually pick me off while reloading. I'm thinking of swapping the scope off the .223 to the AR-10; it's an OLD Tasco 8-16x40mm scope that I've parted a trot line string back to back on shots at 180 yrds before. Only thing I'm worried about is the recoil breaking this nice scope, since I inherited it from my uncle who passed away. FYI, I usually carry Mossberg 835 12 gauge with 3 1/2" shells in, and shoulder carry rifle since Iowa has coyotes n crows year round. I'd appreciate any info, help on this decision!

For those purposes, get a lower power scope...like a 1-4x or so.

Also, as brother unforgiven said, a red dot of some sort is good.

I have a 2-7x32 Redfield on the 20" RRA Freedom Machine and an Eotech on the 16" RRA Liberty.

While I haven't tried it on coyotes yet, the Eotech is mighty fast to engage multiple targets!

Jon