• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

So...do DPMS mags really work in the new AR10A...?

HeavyMG

Hey everyone.  Can't seem to find the answer to my question so figured I'd ask the board in general.  Armalite's postings on their AR10 say "DPMS mags may work...we haven't tried them".

That only raises questions for me.  Why would a major .308 AR maker would take time to try pmags (or any other brand) but not take time to try DPMS mags?  Doesn't make sense.  To me, at least.  It would seem that it takes no more time to try the DPMS mags than trying the Pmags.

Perhaps, in my suspicious mind, what Armalite is really saying is "We designed the 10A to work specifically with PMags.  We hope the design works with DPMS mags but we really didn't go out of our way to make sure."

Thanks for everyone's answer.

Link to explain the latest on UN gun ban treaty.  Good article explaining what pro-gun groups object to in the July 25 draft of the UN Gun Ban Plan.  That's what it is:  a Gun Ban Plan.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/07/25/un-treaty-takes-shape-and-takes-aim-at-gun-owners/

Excerpt from link.  See where this is going?  Other articles say the Gun Ban Plan would affect import of gun parts.  Like barrels, magazines, parts kits....everything that gun loving Americans like.  Here's the excerpt from above link (emphasis mine):

The draft treaty’s amendment provisions have become a new point of focus for campaigners keen to protect the integrity of U.S. Second Amendment rights to gun ownership and other U.S. interests.

Language stating that amendments are only legally binding on a country if “accepted” by its government is ambiguous, according to some experts. Past practice dictates acceptance is necessary if an amendment is to carry legal weight in a country, but the terms of this treaty have already veered from the norm with the UN General Assembly’s acceptance of the agreement-by-consensus provision.

The draft treaty’s amendment rules also fail to stipulate a quorum for an amendment vote.

“That could be done by just 10 states,” said Tom Mason, U.S. executive secretary of the World Forum on the Future of Sport Shooting Activities, an association of hunting, shooting and industry organizations, including the National Rifle Association.

He said the U.S. Second Amendment is protected only by sovereignty and “lawful private ownership” references in the draft’s preamble – a part of a treaty that is not typically legally binding.

He also lamented that the draft fails to specifically exempt civilian arms from its “covered items.”

Armalite being the original designer of the AR-10 has always used thier own specific mags. In the early days they used converted M-14 mags because they were cheap & plentyful. They then introduced the Generation II mags so there was no more need for conversion of the M-14 mags because we all bitched about it so much. Being that the PMAG is the most popular mag on the market and the most requested aftermarket mag they designed the new A MODEL to accept the PMAG. Why would they try a DPMS mag? The biggest reported problem from DPMS owners are malfunctions related to their mags. I know my LR308 never worked with factory mags, one of the reasons I sold it.

CavScout;

I'm interested in finding out if what the Armalite rep posted on - IIRC - AR15.com is true.  He said (paraphrased):

'the 10A may also work with DPMS mags but we haven't tested to see if the DPMS mags really do work'

So...I want to know what "really works" (besides pmags) not what "may work".  I'm scouting all my .308 AR options and the 10A is one option within my budget.

Knight's M110C would be my first choice, otherwise  ;)

Actually DPMS/SR25 magazines are based on the original Armalite AR-10 magazines that pre date Armalites use of the M14 magazines. Armalite probably as a matter of business and pride isnt going to promote or support the use of a competitors product in there weapons.

Also read tech note 101 attached.

4882_.pdf

Actually DPMS/SR25 magazines are based on the original Armalite AR-10 magazines that pre date Armalites use of the M14 magazines. Armalite probably as a matter of business and pride isnt going to promote or support the use of a competitors product in there weapons.

Also read tech note 101 attached.

Pride for a certainty, the people who formed DPMS were former employees of Armalite, who left to start up DPMS.