• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

lr-308 issues

Hello everyone.

I have had my lr-308 for about a year now and had some questions about it thought someone could shed some light on it. I recently had my extractor break on me and dpms is sending me a new one. I also installed the upgraded extractor spring. My question is why did it break? Is my new one going to break? I try not to shoot it very quick but I did last time and the extractor broke. You guys know anyway to make my rifle more durable? any tips would be appriciated.

Thanks

well hard to say i am the second owner. when i bought it it looked like the guy shot maybe a hundred times and decided he didn't like so he got rid of it. my guess. It looked brand new. I have put around 600 through it myself.

How about the full specs on the rifle?  Let's get that going here, and see what we're working with.  Fixed stock, rifle buffer, or collapsible stock and weighted carbine buffer, etc.  Barrel length, gas system length, so on...  That'll help.

Buffer can have an affect, but it's typically not the sole culprit.  It can be, but usually not.  <thumbsup>

the lower has collapsible dpms stock with everything esle standard on the dpms sportical 308. The uppper is a 16" chromomoly barrel with a quad rail and standard dpms railed gas block. The only upgrade that has ever been done to the bolt assembly is the upgraded extractor spring designed for the 308 extractor. Not to sure on the gas system length. Everything is stock on the rifle (dpms lr-308 sportical) except the quad rail and the spring that i talked about above.

Carbine gas system on that one - based on the parts that are stock on that, you could definitely benefit from a heavier buffer (find Slash, at HeavyBuffers.com), but I'd suspect a rough chamber, possibly combined with the ammo... 

Try some different ammo first, man, and see how it does with that. 

• 3 months later...

I'm no expert but I would think that if the rifle had an estimated 700 round count the rough chamber would have smoothed out on its own.  As far as the extractor breaking I suspect the cause to be metal fatigue under pressure.  I am curious about it though since I have the same parts in mine with the same carbine gas system.