• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Burris AR-332 Prism Sight

• 8 months later...

I got the chance to shop for it at a local retailer and it compared well to other optics.  The wife liked it, and despite her lack of technical background in such things, I encourage her to make her own decisions so she has some stake in it, since her enthusiasm for the shooting sports is not as intense.

The little circles are pretty handy for bdc determination, and if you calibrate the drop of the round you are shooting with the markers, it should be fairly easy to acquire a target at different ranges and put the shots where you want them.  I believe the bdc is calibrated to a standard spec 5.56 55 gr load in an M4 from 200 to 600 yards as is (Something like XM193 or thereabouts).  You can use the bdc for any round, you just have to determine the co-incidence of the drop to the markers is all.  The unit is rubber armored and TIGHT, as in the turret caps, the objective focus, etc.  It rides well on the SU-16 and is not at all encumbering, about 30% larger diameter than a mini mag flashlight and about as long.  It is lightweight and the illumiation of the reticle in red or green does make it stand out well.  I don't always care for illumination on fine reticles for my long range target work, but in this case the circles really benefit in lower light conditions.  I did not find the thickness of the circles to be particularly distracting from target acquisition.  The 3x magnification is appropriate for this scope, and I had little problem staying indexed to the objective properly.  The eye relief is a little short compared to some of the 3x ACOGs I've worked with, but it is sufficient.  Witnessing through this scope would not be the most practical, since the bdc would tend to be obscured under longer distance shooting situations.

I believe this little scope is a good value for money.  I would prefer something a little more robust for the LR-308, but on an M4 it would be ideal.