• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Using a DPMS Classic in 308 for High Power

ripper51

I am a confirmed 7.62x51 preacher. I have sinned sometimes by going out with the little ladies in 223, but I always had a 308 nearby. I normally shoot M1A in NRA High Power- Class is Expert. Decided to try a DPMS LR308 in A2 configuration. First thing, it was heavy. The heavy 20 inch barrel contributed to that. Barrel wasn't free floated so had to compensate when slinging up. Could not get a 25 yd/25 meter zero on it to save me. At 200 yds it was printing 8 inch groups at 11 oclock 5 ring. With Federal Gold Match 168's. Cranked the sights almost hard against the right side stop. Adjusted the front sight as it is- post A2.- opposite of up was....down. Finally got the sights set for 200 and then the wind picked up. No place to go. rear sights were a mess- loose, droopy, bending spring was interesting but useless. Front site post was rattling around in base like a mariachi dancer. Loose also. Called DPMS who said- send it on back and we'll make it right.

Question is- are they serious?http://308ar.com/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif  To have sights like that on an M1A meant major barrel misalignment. On an Ar15? Gas port is aligned and it is possible things are out of alignment elsewhere.

What is DPMS rep like? Will they fix it? I would like to use it in High Power.

• 10 months later...

It is now Aug 2013. I have free floated the barrel with a DPMS part. DPMS has had the rifle back twice to fix the front sight. They did make a valiant effort. I have replaced front sight post with an extended post- it was bent- came that way from the supplier; have replaced it with a NM sight which I really liked: couldn't get it up far enough to stop shooting the pigeons overhead- seriously it was way over at 100, slightly over at the target at 200 and 5 ring 12 o'clock at 300, x ring 12 o'clock at 600. No wind, all FGGM 175's, shot from prone with a sling. I am trying to get another "extended" post front sight since that is required with this model LR 308 Classic. It has the A3 receiver but has the detachable A2 handle and rear sight.

I disassembled the rear sight and handle, cleaned it up, put an NM hood and aperture on, greased, re-assemble and voila the centering issue went away. When I get the extended front sight post, I will carefully mill it down to .050 NM specs(I think).