• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SmokePole Leaf Sight

Dusty44

I am looking for a Leaf Sight to put on a T/C Hawken.  I think a brass leaf with an adjustable eyepiece/peep sight.  Black finish might be OK.  It needs to appear compatible with the 1820's - 1850's period.

So far the only thing I have found is at Dixie Gun Works,  an "EPO711 Vernier Tang Sight."  A version of this is listed for an 1861 Springfield Rifle.  I am not sure if it would be acceptable on the Hawken.  I did see a pic of this sight mounted on a Lyman Plains Rifle.  The Lyman Plains Rifle is equivalent to the Hawken.  But the question remains if it would look OK to most shooters.

I want to try a peep or 'ghost ring' sight to see if it helps my eyes.  I have no compunctions about a scope on an Inline.  (For those who do not know:) The Inline was an attempt in the early 1800's to put the percussion cap  where it would be protected from the rain.  It did not work well enough to be acceptable to rifle users and was abandoned.  Because the concept and a few rifles were made this way in that era,  modern lawmakers and shooters accept the design now,  to whatever extent.  My eyes demand good optics.  If the scope on the Knight Inline were not acceptable for a specific use (hunting/some competitions),  I have an excellent Ghost Ring sight that looks like it should be on a WW-2 combat rifle.  But on the Hawken I am trying to stay with  sights that might fit the period.

Do you have a suitable leaf sight that you want to sell?

Can you refer me to a vendor and catalog item that might be suitable?

Do you have an opinion on the Vernier Leaf Sight mentioned above?

PM me?  If I find something,  I will post it here so everyone will know.