• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Installing Gas tube with JP modular handguard

SVI4ME

I tried quite a few time to install the barrel, gas block and gas tube.  What is the trick to installing the gas tube?  When I tighten the barrel nut the hole for the gas tube does not line up with the upper.  I thought about leaving gas tube in through the back of the upper but I dont want to bugger it up. Anyone have the same problem and have a fix?

Thanks ;D

Not actually the barrel nut splines that is causing the problem.  It's the end piece of the hand guard that you screw on first that is the problem.  It has a hole in it that connects to the hole on the upper.  When you tighten the barrel nut the end piece rotates too

Per JP's instructions, they advise securing the end piece( as you called it) to the reciever with red lock tight. I believe they have instructions on PDF through their site.

I used the red lock tight method, I secured my upper receiver in the dpms claw (delrin block) made sure it was level. then took a  bubble level peice and set it on the large hole on top of the end piece(as you called it) making sure it was level while the lock tight set. I went to lowes and purchased a string level and busted it out of the plastic piece you hang on the string.

When assembling my rifle I ended up having to grind down one of the tangs as suggested above, just take your time. I will post some pics if you need clarification of the end peice w/ bubble level.

There are other methods available, especially if you plan on adding rail sections for back up sights. Mine came out really good, but I don't ever plan on using flip/fixed sights attached to the hand guard.