• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.243 Recommendations

MarkB

I hunt with an old Win Mod 70 in .243 Win. If my suggestion counts, I say Federal "Vital-Shok" 85gr with the Barnes Triple-Shock X bullet. That bullet should take down most anything in North America. If you're worried about bullet weight, or you regularly hunt larger than 200#, you could try the Winchester polymer tipped 95 gr. XP3. 

I've used the Fed 80gr soft points for the California Blacktail Deer. It does the job well enough. The Barnes 85gr does more than its share of the work. I think I have some boxes of 100gr sierra BTSP, but I don't think I've ever shot it.

The 80gr .243 bullet, traveling 3300-3000 fps, will produce 60% more energy (foot pounds) at 100 yards vs a 77gr .223, traveling only 2700-2500 fps. The 85gr with the Barnes bullet only loses about 100 fps, keeps near the same energy, and performs a lot better once it hits fur. I'll bet that 95gr is a flesh wrecker, but I haven't shot them yet.