• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SCAR a pistol or SBR?

aval

I was wonder if anyone has ran into this or if it is even a problem. While eyeballing some toys at a gun store I was looking at a used pistol AR-15 upper, the clerk had told me that the guy traded it in and bought a ACR or SCAR( forgot already) to replace the AR as his vehicle pistol. I told him it would be a SBR and he said it would be considered a pistol due to the length of the barrel. So which is it, because if it is considerd a pistol I'll be buying one. <dontknow>

Your LGS is partially right.

The barrel length doesn't make it a pistol. The lack of a stock does. A buffer tube is not considered a stock. It serves a function completely seperate and unrelated to the job of a stock.

A pistol buffer tube is generally shorter and fatter than a standard tube. This is to prevent a stock from being placed on it.

I believe Feds say you can't have a forward vertical grip attached. The Magpul AFG is a grey area accessory.

Just putting a short barrel upper on your AR is a big no-no. The AR lower receiver must be registered as a pistol.

I meant the ACR or SCAR as a pistol/SBR. I have a AR pistol myself thats why I was looking at the pistol upper they had displayed. I was just confused on him saying the SCAR/ACR was a pistol when I thought it would be considered a SBR due to it only having a 16" barrel and its overall lenght when folded is shorter then what the law says? And here in Michigan I didn't think we were allowed to own SBR.