• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I Paid Too Much!!

planeflyer21

Well, maybe not.

The Wanted To Buy section got me to wondering, what have you bought that you thought you paid too much for at the time, which is now a bargain?

For me, it is a Marlin 1894CSS.  These are .357 Magnum lever-action rifles.  Marlin aficianados had been hounding Marlin for a stainless version for years, when they announced it would be coming soon.  With all the people clamoring for one when they were released, several on Marlin Owners had ordered them.  I did too but my dealer said cash up front.  Went to drop the cash off and he had charged it and had it waiting!  <thumbsup>

Cost a cool $675.  Other people in a few months were paying $630 or so.  I kicked myself a bit but still had bragging rights as the first person to lay hands on their own.  :fawkdance:

Marlin was then moved to Remington, problems to follow and the lever-gun production was halted due to QC issues.  The rage then became to have a "pre-Marlington" rifle, stamped JM on the barrel instead of the oval around the REM.

The 1894CSSs are still not being produced (even though they are listed on the website).  They are routinely selling for $1,200 and up for the JM.

Don't feel so bad now.  ;D

Jon

I bought my matched JD Machine upper/lower on an impulse buy. I was at a local gun shop known for being overpriced to pick up a couple 5.56 lowers and they had that matched set sitting in the display case....knowing nothing about 308AR's or their pricing I said "give me that one too". I got home and did a little research only to find out I paid around $200 more than what JD sold them for. Oh we'll, it was pretty and I wanted it.