• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Prep before first outing?

There are as many opinions regarding new barrel break-in as stars in the sky. Don't get caught up in any of the hype, just do what you want. When I break in a new precision gun (one I really like, want to have for a very long time, and probably cost a good bit of dough), I go out on a beautiful day and take my sweet time with it. For me, breaking in a barrel (on a gun that is deserving, ex. your LR-308 vs an 870) is just as much an experience in Zen/Harmony/Honor as it is an exercise in function (I think it does help, some don't). Whatever you do, remember to make it a good day; you will take your rifle to the range/outdoors hundreds of times, but only the first time once.

Good stuff man, sounds right on.

What I will do is break it down and CLP the typical stuff.  I will bring a bore snake and CLP with me and run the snake through at some frequency I think is right, maybe wipe the action once or twice while I'm out there as well.

I'm just waiting on my scope to arrive, but with the SHOT show coming up next week, I might have to wait until February...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...