• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Wanting to build an SR-25 clone.

I am kind of new to the 308 AR world so feel free to correct me where I have confused things.

So I want an SR-25, but I (like most people) don't have $4500 dollars laying around, so I am "settling" on a clone, or as close as I can get. I have a few questions.

From what I can tell there are two basic groups of 308/AR-10s, the DPMS and the Armalite. Will the KAC rail fit either the AR-10 from Armalite or the LR208 from DPMS?

Will c-product mags and pmags work in both of them or just in the DPMS?

From what I can tell I can use the DPMS and have the good mags but not the rail, although I could use the Troy MRF-308 rail which is very similar instead. Or I can use the Armalite and get the actual rail but be stuck with possible magazine problems.

Thanks for any advice or answers.

Here's a couple quick bits of info (getting ready to leave for work here).

There are only two types of magazines:  Armalite-compatible and DPMS/KAC-compatible.  Every .308 semi varient uses one of those two types of magazines. 

There are two types of barrel threading:  Armalite and DPMS.  All barrel nuts and rails are threaded for one or the other, so that affects your rail choice.  Speaking of that, KAC rails have a special barrel nut wrench, and the thing is about $250.  That's just what you need to put the rail on - not the cost of the rail itself.  THere are places that offer the rail-mounting service, but doing it yourself is almost cost-prohibitive.

There are two types of upper receivers:  Yep, you guessed it, Armalite and DPMS based parts.

Mega Machine just introduced a new upper and lower set that incorporates most of the desired features from both platforms.  It's an Armalite-based upper with DPMS thread, and the lower takes DPMS mags.  You'd still be out of luck on the KAC rail, but that set is definitely worth looking at.

Thanks, lots of good info.

I have written both Magpul and C-Products to see if they make mags for the Armalite type 308, but since I am impatient I will ask here. Who other than Armalite makes mags for the Armalite AR-10? I really don't want to pay 30-40 bucks for a magazine.

I think I am going to go with the Armalite with a daniel defense lite rail, but just want to be sure that 1) I don't have mag issues and 2) my mags don't cut into my ammo money lol.

Every .308 semi varient uses one of those two types of magazines. 

My mistake - I left out some info in my Armalite vs. DPMS design info, so my statement above isn't correct.  There are lower reveivers manufactured that can use G3/FAL mags, also...

Thanks, lots of good info.

I have written both Magpul and C-Products to see if they make mags for the Armalite type 308, but since I am impatient I will ask here. Who other than Armalite makes mags for the Armalite AR-10? I really don't want to pay 30-40 bucks for a magazine.

I think I am going to go with the Armalite with a daniel defense lite rail, but just want to be sure that 1) I don't have mag issues and 2) my mags don't cut into my ammo money lol.

If you're convinced on the Armalite design, you might want to wait for the Mega MA-TEN design to become plentiful.  Basically, it's a very, very nice version of the Armalite platform, but designed to use DPMS-based mags.  Rumors out there right now are that any AR-10 upper will mate directly to that lower.  If so, you could run an AR-10 upper on a lower that will use the 20-rd Pmags.

As for Armalite mag producers, I'm not sure, other than the two companies you already mentioned.

Make sure you check out the other offerings from companies that make DPMS compatible uppers and lowers.  There's TONS of great stuff by independent manufactures out now.  Hit up the section below the KAC section; it includes them all (or almost all of them).

Armalite Section

DPMS Section

Knight's Armament Section

The Other Brands Section

<thumbsup>

I really like that Mega Ma-Ten, my only hang up is finding an FFL here to do the transfer for me. Also pricing the build it myself vs the buy one built, it will cost more to do it myself lol. The whole FFL thing is a big hang up though. But I am hoping to get approval for my own FFL and then that won't be an issue ever again  ;D

Toss this into consideration on those prices, man...  You can get a .308 AR at a "not-bad" price these days.  It doesn't have the rail you need or want, it doesn't have the grip you want, it doesn't have the sights you want, it doesn't have the stock you want, it doesn't have the trigger you want...  It can go on forever, man.  You can get into the gun cheap(er) now, but you rack up the cost on the parts you really want.  Afterwards, you're stuck with a bunch of parts that nobody wants to buy, or it's a bunch of parts that will be "rifle-seeds" for another build...  :o  And that will be a build that will need all those parts changed out, too...  It never ends.  >:(

Anyway, my point was...  check the cost of buying the gun you want, the way you want it.  If nothing exists from a manufacturer the way you want it, add up the cost of getting something close plus the parts you need - factoring in the stuff laying around afterwards.  That stuff is gonna cost you, too...  <lmao>

EDIT - the KAC SR-25 is gonna cost you about $5k.  I built this for $1.9k:

308CurrentMods4.jpg

EDIT - the KAC SR-25 is gonna cost you about $5k.  I built this for $1.9k:

308CurrentMods4.jpg

Yeah that is reason #1 I won't be getting the KAC. That build you have there is pretty much exactly what I want (other than just an A-2 stock which will probably be a couple bucks cheaper anyway). Did that price include you scope and mounts? Do you mind sharing the details of that thing with me. That would be right in my price range, leaving some room for ammo and mags. Thanks

I had the scope already, but factored in that cost to the final number.  I nailed the Armalite scope mount on a serious sale (I think the thing ended up costing me about $40), and I already had the KAC rail panels (not factored into the overall cost, if I remember right).

The details about that gun are in this thread:

http://308ar.com/forum/index.php/topic,130.0.html

Ask away about any of it, either in this thread or the linked thread.  Outside of catching a few parts on sale (two big pieces of Fulton Armory stuff; BCG and barrel), most of it was careful shopping online, just looking for good prices.  <thumbsup>