• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

7.62x51 M61 AP

CDMCKY

• 2 months later...

I just got 3000 rounds of surplus Israeli M61 7.62x51mm NATO armor piercing bullets [projectiles] which have the hardened tool steel [full] core. These are the 151 gr and will burn through over 7/8" of regular steel at 300 meters and 3/8" of armored steel @ 300 meters. They were tarnished, dirty and had tar [waterproofing] on them. I'm cleaning them in acetone, then soaking them in a vinegar/salt bath, vibrating them with a "rouged" walnut media, cleaning, inspecting and then reapplying the "black tips" with a nice black epoxy spray paint.

The ones I've already finished are spectacular and about as perfect as can be; these should be quite accurate and I might sell some, maybe. I'll post some photos after I've finished them all.

Unfortunately, I bought the 3,000 they have available now and the last 10,000 they have are reserved for me which I will get soon. These AP's have been stored for several years and are all that is left . I am buying all of these to refurbish to perfection and sell for an acceptable profit so I'll post an ad when I'm ready to start selling them in a few weeks.

The AP's are getting harder to find as all that is legal/available to sell are those that were in the US when the "AP ban laws" were passed 20+ years ago. There seems to be a decent amount of the .30 caliber M2-AP [30-06/Garand] bullets available that are mostly in live 30-06 rounds, but those are getting more scarce too. I spent a lot of time "scouring" every place/person/business I could and It was quite a bit of work [and good timing] to find these Israeli M61 surplus projectiles, which is why I "jumped" on the opportunity.

I'll probably only sell 25% of mine and "sit" on the rest, as these bullets are going to appreciate better than gold in a few years, and man these are nice ones.