• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR 10

Snowman

I'm new here this is my first post. I spent 20+ years in the US ARMY and went to the Gulf War in1991 so I'm not new to AR rifles. But I have never owned one and now that I've been retired for 10 years  and Ar's have improved ,I am trying to figure out which is the best by brand and gas system. I'm leaning towards a gas piston based of years of use of the old gas tube I hated cleaning them. I also don't really want a 5.56. Any Ideas <munch>

Your choices are between the ar-15 sized receiver and the ar-10 sized receiver. The ar-10 is a lot heavier than an ar-15. You can get an ar-15 in anything from .204 Ruger to 450 Bushmaster, the 6.8 SPC being the next popular cartridge for serious social purposes. In the ar-10 any of the 308 based cartridges, 260 Rem, 7mm-08, 308, 338 Fed, 358 Win. I definitely like the piston guns over the gas tube. To me it's worth it just for the ease of cleaning, but I think there is also less heat build-up in the receiver, and much increased round count between cleaning. I think you give up a little reliability with the piston, as there is more to go wrong. The gas tube system is very simple and reliable.

• 2 weeks later...