• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How much weight will I use if I go to a standard barrel from an 18" bull barrel?

Hi all.

I've got an LR308b from DPMS and it's uber accurate.  I elected the bull barrel at 18" over a standard barrel thinking that it wouldn't be about the same weight as a 20" standard barrel over all.  The rifle weights in at a little over 9 pounds.  It's pretty well balanced and shooting off hand with a 2 point tactical sling keeps it pretty well tamed and plugged into my shoulder.  I'm wondering, however, that if I should go with an 18" standard barrel with a comp.  The 18" bull barrel I have has no comp and I'd like to have one now that I've got some time on this rifle. 

So, would swapping my 18" bull for an 18" standard barrel with a comp save me any measurable weight? 

Rome

post-421-136297264796_thumb.jpg

Rome, for comparison purposes, I knew I could find listed weights from Fulton Armory.  This is just a ballpark, but a decently accurate one that should help out.

Their 18.5" stainless match barrel in a medium contour is listed at 3.0 lbs.  Their cromoly lightweight 18.5" barrel is listed at 2.5 lbs.  There's a 0.5 lb savings between those two contours/materials.  With your bull profile being a little heavier, you'd save even more from the switch, not to mention the additional savings of the extra 1/2 inch (minimal, but still there).  Not sure how much a comp on the end would add, but there are so many different ones available that it would come down to product selection and listed weights of them.  Hope that helps some.

Tom

Duh. I didn't think of checking Fulton.  Thanks for that info.

I don't know if saving one pound or so would make enough of a difference to go through the expense of swapping barrels.  I bought the bull barrel to help keep the rifle accurate even under multiple rounds.  I know that my AR-15 pencil barrels get really hot if you shoot them rapidly.  The bull barrel doesn't get as warm as quickly.  Plus, I'd have to invest in the barrel wrench and vice jig to do it properly not to mention having it headspaced again. 

This rifle is just so accurate and reliable that I just think I'm going to endure it as it is.  I know I've read about some configurations that are a full two pounds lighter but they were using skeleton stocks (something I can't have unless it's fixed) and even then I prefer tha balance that the A2 stock gives to the barrel.  BTW I've got a Gissele trigger in it and THAT makes this already accurate rifle amazingly easy to shoot. 

Thanks for the posts, fellas.  I do appreciate it.

Rome