• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gun show is in town - shopping for used sidearm

gnatshooter

Friends,

The gun show is coming back to town and part of my mission there will be to shop for a good used sidearm, in 9 mm semiauto.

I'm wondering if it's a bad idea just in general. The sellers may not know the history and use of the sidearms and may not want to tell the truth anyhow, for instance. Also, the pistols are all tied up with cable locks, so you can't tear them down and look for poor maintenance, corrosion, etc.

Will these guys unlock the pistols for a takedown and inspection? Either way, is there anything in particular, or rules of thumb or general things to check? For instance I've heard that if the barrel rattles in the slide, that's supposed to be OK if it's a Colt. Is it OK for other pistols? How about tightness of the slide, etc? Or anything else to watch for?

One thing I've noticed is that there's not much of a discount for used sidearms, the prices are close to NIB, which makes it possible to pay for near-new when it's pretty much used up. So detecting good quality would be the important thing.

I'm very fond of the Ruger P95DC and would be interested in one of those or in something double-action-decock-no-safety and would look for other makes with those features, any recommendations?

And of course any random advice is welcome.

P.S. I tried to post this under handguns, apologies if I still didn't get that part right.

When I used to own the retail gunshop, I LOVED the gun show come to town!!!!!

I'd be busy repairing firearms for at least two weeks after it was over.

Personally, with the market being what it is,ie, used costing almost or over retail   I'd not buy a used pistol on a bet!  Unless I personally knew the seller, and the gun had some kind of warranty, IN WRITING!

Respectfully

Terry

Best is always do your research before you buy go hold a new one at a gun store. Gun shows here are only good to look! Some guys are trying to make a living selling junk, but I've made a good purchase and the guy wasn't trying to sell me he was asking the lgs price so I bought it not holding it before. Then sold it a year later 50$ cheeper.

Edited by sketch

One thing I've noticed is that there's not much of a discount for used sidearms, the prices are close to NIB, which makes it possible to pay for near-new when it's pretty much used up. So detecting good quality would be the important thing

Gnat you said it right here.....buy new! Wash