• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

150 Hornady SP with new Hornady Match brass

Gibbs

post-15036-0-10607100-1408672831_thumb.jThis is using new Hornady Match brass and CCI LR Magnum primers with 44.5 gr of IMR 8208 XBR powder.  Case is not 2.800 but around 2.776" OAL.  Bullet is the Hornady 150 SP with the flat base.  Used a LEE factory crimper on the bullet.

This is the 2nd time in one week where the group is under .4" at 100 yards with this load.  Today it was a good day.  0.300" center.

Just for those interested I used CCI LR Magnum primers for this load (which is at the given maximum per Hodgon online manual).  No major pressure sign indications.  The primers are still rounded on the edges, and cases are not overly expanded toward the base.

I use one primer, CCI #250 on all my .308 loads and use the CCI SR Magnum primers, #450,  on my 6.8 SPC2 handloads as well.

The Hornady 150gr Interlock is their # 3031.  So far, they are shooting better than the BT version 150gr, #3033.  In theory they (boat tail) should shoot better, but I've had that happen years ago on a bolt action .223 that loved flat base bullets over boat tails.

Edited by Gibbs

The round is called a 308 Alpo. A necked down 444 marlin with a 40* shoulder, in custom cut chamber in my single shot. Once I have fire formed brass I load 55.5 grains of H4350 with CCI 200 primer. I've never run it over a chrono, but much better groups than the BT (bullet is only thing changed). My best group (4 of 5 shots) was a tiny bit under 1".  Really does the trick on AL deer.