• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

newby, needs advice

Howdy, A friend tried to sell me a stag arms 5.56. I passed as the accuracy wasn't what I would want and the 5.56 round is fine for groundhogs. but not a caliber I'm interested in.

But I was very taken with the AR platform, and seeing how I already reload and shoot .308 I started looking at .308 AR's. AM leaning towards a DPMS AP4, with a couple of questions.

1.Should I order the removable hanguard or the free float tube? I din't plan to hang any rails on it.

2. Will I be happy with the 16" barrel, I intend the rifle to be for defense, huntiing deer out to 300yds.

3. Will I see the front site with a 3x9 scope, or would I be better off ordering a model without the site.

4. Do I really need the foward assist and dust cover and shell deflector, or should I just go with the sportical for about $150 less.

5. Has DPMS solved any Mag issues they have, or should I buy mags from other vendors.

Thanks for the help, looking foward ti buying this rifle.

Howdy, I have an LR-308 I am slowly making into a hunting rifle. I'll give you MY opinion on your questions.

1. Free float tube will be more accurate, especially if you use a bipod, shoot off a rest, or shoot with a sling.

2. The 16" barrel should be entirely adequate out to 300 yds., it may be LOUD. 308 AR's tend to be heavy, most of the weight being in the barrel, most hunters use short barrels.

3. If your not going to mount iron sights, you won't need the front sight. You may notice some fuzziness where the sight is at 3x but at 9x you won't see a thing.

4. You don't need them, but I like the dust cover, but you can't get one without the other. I hunt in some bad snow country and I have had actions freeze tight from snow melting and running into the receiver and then freezing. If your a lefty you will want the shell deflector, otherwise the HOT cases have a tendency to go down your collar.

5. I received two mags with my rifle, and ordered 3 more DPMS mags from Midway, they have all been 100% so far. My rifle is about 3 months old.

If you can get the high rise rail you will be able to use regular Weaver rings, if you get a standard flat top you will need some type of Picatinny scope mount to get the scope high enough to see through. I have a Burris P.E.P.R. mount on mine and it works fine, but it cost close to $100.

I owned an AP4 7.62 and it was an awesome rifle.

1. Free float

2. 16'' will be just fine for killing deer @ 300 yds.

3. I couldn't see the sight on mine, my scope was a Burris 3x9. Switched to a 4.5x14 Burris and then I could see the sight but it didn't bother me.

4. You don't need the FA,DC, and deflector. It's a personnel choice thing as far as I'm concerned.

5. I've never had one problem with DPMS factory mags. I like to use the 10 rnd mag for hunting cause it doesn't get in my way.

Enjoy your new rifle I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

One more thing, Federal Power Shock 150 will be your best bet for reasonably priced, accurate ammo in a DPMS AR.