• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

m80 help

jeepguy

anyone got a good "recipe" for m80 ball using winchester 748? ive got 8#s of the stuff and lake city brass with 145-47 grain fmjbt milspec projectiles, ive searched allover and get confused more than helped lol, btw it will be firing from a sportsmans warehouse $800 bushy lr308 :) first post but been reading here for a bit, thx DC

One last thing

WC 846 = IMR-8208 or H-335 and Ball C(2)

so there you go.

Be carefull with WC846 , not all lots are the same . I use WC 846 for all my 223 & 308 , make sure you start with reduced loads .

My batch is not compatible normal loading data comparisons . Be it BLC2 or others. I had to come up with my own loading data with trial & error.

Most if not all reloading manuals have data on WW 748, if you have a chronograph , you can work up loads for milspec velocities.

I just got my first Chronograph for Christmas & I've been reloading for over thirty years.

It is a great tool for working up loads . Don't know why I didn't get one sooner .

Just keep an eye on your brass & primers , they tell most of the story when you get close to max pressures.

You are doing good to start at the lower end of the data ,because all chambers are different & one load for one may not be ok in another .

• 1 month later...

update - finally loaded about 100 rounds and head to the range, get there load up a mag, try to arm a round and no go-bcg wouldnt close all the way,missed by about 1/4",hard to eject(had to "pry" out bcg to remove round, tried another=same, tried new round(factory load) no prob, ive resized,decrimped,etc. using lee classic turret, put rounds into norinco m14=fine all shot no prob, came home and looked over setup-dies go to about the last 1/4" of shell, do full length dies go all the way? if so what am i doing wrong?thx  DC

Who's die set you using ? Make sure they are set up correctly . Full length should work .

I'll bet they are a little long in the overall length or your shoulder was not set back enough .

The Norinco is probably a 7.62 chamber & your LR is a 308 . 7.62 has longer fee bore to lands of bbl..

The LR's are notorious for tight chambers . Getting a case gage will help & a cartridge gage . I never use them ,but I check a batch of sized brass to see if they fit in chamber before I start loading them.

The case gage will tell you if the sized case is to Sammi spec's.

everything i use is lee,the full length dies,case trimmer setup,etc., i used the neck length resizer-deprimer first,decrimped primer pocket,used the length trimmer tools, full length resize,prime then i started using powder thru die,add bullet,seat,crimp  it seems as there alot of "movement" in the press as oal`s vary by a few thous., im guessing that the resizer isnt going quite far enough down,i took a couple of spent rounds that i loaded and used the full length die- im getting about 1/4" or so that isnt getting resized judging by the line of case lube stoppage, should it truly go all the way down? thx for the paitence and help,DC

I don't own a Lee rifle dies set , So I looked at there FAQ's on there web sight to make sure how the sizer die is set up & its just like my RCBS.

1-When adj. your die ,make sure the ram is at its upper most stroke

(some of the presses will go past this if you stroke the handle down all the way , so look at the ram to see its stroke ,with the shell holder on it )

2- with the press ram at its highest point , screw the sizer die till it touches the shell holder & lock it down .

(I always screw the die down ,just a little more to make the ram slightly cam over and I mean slightly , to take any play out of the linkage )

This should give you the proper sizing & case shoulder set.

Some barrel chambers this adj. can be set up different ,but this has worked for me for over thirty years .

Some dies are different & there instructions should be followed also.

I have also used only small base dies in my .223 & 308, but that's just me & I set them up the same way.

I would suggest that you carefully check the diameter of a loaded round at the shoulder, then check a sized casing. It is very easy to mushroom the casing at the shoulder while crimping bullets. This can be very hard to spot by eye . For full length sizing the die should touch the shell holder at the top of the stroke. The Lee factory crimp die will eliminate this problem and also put an excellent crimp on. I heavily crimp all my 308 and 223 ammo, I have found that a lot of bullets get pushed back into the case if you don't. This can cause high pressure and also poor accuracy, as the varying pressures cause velocity variations enough to effect point of impact. If you are plagued by occasional fliers and don't crimp your ammo, that is probably your problem.

i tried a bit of advice that someone said they had the same problem with .223 ars, he said to take the decapper pin and move it all the way up and the resize, no biggy as i have the universal decapper also which i use before anything else (as i shoot .45s & .40s when i go out) tried a few cases this way and the bolt closes fine, took a spent case-no close and stuck! so this seems to be the case,as now it "overcams" at full stroke, im gonna go ahead and load 10 or so and make sure, but i think this has got it , thx DC