• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hand guards.. to float or not to float.

dlancello

I'm new to this form and AR 10s. I was raised around guns and shooting has always been a part of my life.

I'm ordering an AR10 A4 Carbine. I want to install a 4 rail hand guard and i would like your opinions on weather the floating hand guard is really worth the added cost and time. I'm not going to use this rifle for competition.

Thanks

The gains are relative and in terms of overall accuracy. A free-float tube has a single point of influence over the barrel, and that by manipulating the receiver itself whereas the enclosed forarm type manipulates at both the receiver and a given point along the length of the barrel. It basically means there's a point at which the barrel is susceptible to torque and thus a change in the point of impact. No big deal at shorter ranges, much more apparent at longer distances.

Free floating also allows a barrel it's natural undisturbed vibrations and movements throughout its temp range.

You'll even see guys run a dollar between the barrel and stock on a bolt action. This is to verify wood is not touching the barrel.

It's just one more thing to help a shooter wring out all the accuracy a rifle is able to achieve.

Thanks for all the input.

I had an m1a that was glass bedded at the darlington texas arsanel and I got 3-4" groups at 600 yards. It was a very empressive wepon, but very finicky. I wouldn't think of throwing it over my sholder and doing a running course. oh yea, that was also back when I could see the target at 600 yds :)

I havent had an AR platform since 82 and rail systems werent really around.

I am also going to use an Eotech 552 hws. I have seen these and I like the speed of target aqusition.

How about some opinions on this.

Thanks again