• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sierra 165 Game Kings

tbready

Tested some 165 Game Kings yesterday looking for an OCW with IMR 8208 xbr. Started at 39 gr and went up to 40.2 without pressure signs. 39.6 gr in LC brass gave me .845" @ 100 yards. Will chrono soon. Should be a great hunting round.

Stepped up to 40.8 gr of 8208 XBR. .657" group at 100 yds, chrono'd 2513fps out of an 18" barrel. I know I can get it faster with commercial brass, but the LC brass is cheap and the load is accurate. Just starting to get into the pressure. I'm happy as hell with that. According to my Applied Ballistics app, the round carries 1000 ft-lbs out to 475 yds. Works for me.

Edited by tbready

Excellent choice" I have been using them since before they were called Game Kings. They have taken every big game I have shot since 1977. That only includes deer, bear, and elk, but they are accurate as hell, have really reliable expansion, and feed very well. Back then they had about the best ballistic coefficient of any hunting round, in 30 cal. I don't know if that is still true, as I loaded up 600 rounds back then for my two 30-06' bolt actions, and still have 130 or so left. Only round my stainless Savage has ever shot.