• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS "pattern" rifles and AR10 compatibility?

I've been looking around at various sites for accessories.  Lot's of places have parts/accessories that fit "DPMS pattern" rifles.  My AR10a takes PMAGS and DPMS style magazines, what other parts can I reasonably expect to work/fit?  Charging handles, BCG's, hand guards, stocks, etc.  I'd really like a new charging handle....maybe even a NiB bolt carrier with the Armalite bolt in it, but I don't want to play the maybe it will/maybe it won't fit game.

Any good guidance or is everyone in the same boat I am?

One suggestion is to simply ask ArmaLite.  You can always use the; "If I break down and I'm stuck somewhere and cannot find ArmaLite factory parts, what will work?"

Doesn't hurt to ask even if it does sound a little crazy.  

Everything in the lower receiver will cross over from DPMS to Armalite, in the .308s.  Armalite runs a different receiver extension and buffer/spring system than DPMS does, but you could cross one whole recoil system to the other pattern, and vice versa - you just can't mix those parts together. Charging handles are the same.  Ejection port doors are the same. Forward assist is the same. Bolt carriers are the same. 

Upper receiver threading is different, so barrel nuts don't cross over, and rail systems/free float systems are pattern-specific.

Barrel extensions are different, so you can't cross the bolts over.

Gas tube lengths are different.  Armalite gas tubes are longer, for their given gas systems.

Obviously, there's the magazine difference in the Armalite 10B models and the DPMS brands.

That's about it.