• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Larue OSR Reborn Larue OBR Optimized Battle Rifle

imschur

LaRue Tactical was forced to renamed their OSR rifle after Dick Swan of A.R.M.S trademarked the term "OSR". Dick has been going after many tactical gun companies. Earlier this year he successfully sued Troy Industries and is currently litigating against LaRue and Magpul.

The good news is that the OBR, after much delay, is shipping.

post-1-136297262585_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

At long last my OBR arrived! I ordered it with a 16" barrel, Surefire comp, and the  Magpul collapsible stock. It comes with an SSA 2 stage Geissele trigger, which is really nice although not as nice as their DMR trigger that I have on another EBR, not being adjustable. It also came with LaRue rings which currently hold a Nikon scope – waiting on my Nightforce 5.5x22-56 to arrive.  So far I have only fired about 50 rounds through it – mostly 168 gr. PPU match – which was a little disappointing. My reloads with 175 gr. Nosler BTHP Custom have been much better, staying under 1 m.o.a. I am only using a front rest, so not too steady. I seem to get 4-6 rounds in 1/4th inch and then a couple which make the group 7/8th inch, at 100 yards – pretty sure that is my fault. It is a sweet rifle – I am really happy with it.  Construction and finish are superb. It was worth the wait!

Am I the only one here that has one??

That sounds like a very sweet setup, man...  PICS, PICS, PICS!!!  <laughs>

I can't wait to start seeing some results of the OBR 5.56, too - that's gonna be another winner, right out of the box.  <thumbsup>

mine came mid may :) setup is a PRS stock.. Harris bipod...troy BUIS ...surefire brake and a NF 5.5-22x50...xtm rail covers though thinking about switching to the larue index clips...

2010-05-15134307.jpg

th_336f6b7a.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/houdni/OBR/543fa82d.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/houdni/OBR/77439451.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/houdni/OBR/2ab7a964.jpg

[img width=810 height=538]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/houdni/OBR/38bd082f.jpg

That is a green laser below the barrel- a little handier for close-in than the monster scope! Sometimes it has a Bobro bi-pod attached. Front sling attachment is above the laser.

I fired another 50 rounds today - however conditions were not optimum - tornado watch and gusting cross winds. I was wondering why I seemed so unsteady until I took a close look at my target stand and it was moving laterally 3" back and forth! Unfortunately the target stand was staked to short loops of line which gave the stand a lot more slack than I thought! Quantico MCB has banned target stands with any metal so I can't use my good stand;  I have a light PVC one which needs a better way to hold it down without lugging sandbags out with it!

Sorry about that! I wish I had looked into the PRS stock - it looks a lot nicer than the Magpul CTR. On the other hand, my version is probably more compact. The OBR is a nice shooting rifle. I haven't shot my Noveske 6.8 at the same session, but the OBR seems a softer shooter - maybe just my imagination.

• 1 month later...

I had a slight problem with my OBR -- the bolt catch plunger / spring somehow stopped putting any pressure on the bolt catch. Removing the pin I discovered that the plunger was stuck in its recess hole and would not come out - and not enough of the plunger was protruding to grab it and pull it out. Not wishing to take the chance of damaging anything, La Rue advised sending the lower back.  I am pleased to report that the same day La Rue received the lower it was on its way back to me fixed. Apparently the spring failed and a fragment of this spring jammed the plunger in its hole. Really good service.  However, La Rue did not include in the return package another 'beverage entry tool',  Dillo Dust, or ball cap. They must figure I already have a lifetime supply of those!  ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Update: shot 70 rounds from my OBR today-- 20 of my reloads and a box of 50 of the cheap Magtech 150 gr. FMJBT ($24.68 at Midway). My reloads were PPU brass, RE15 powder, CCI LRP, and Nosler CC 168 and 175 gr HPBT. Of my 4 groups of 5 , using a bi-pod, 100 yds., three were 5/8th" and one was 7/8th", all center to center. Smallest group of 4 in a 5 shot group was 3/8th".

Then I shot the Magtech. I was shooting about 15 shots per target and the groups were about 1.5". One round towards the end got creamed as it was trying to be fed - not sure what happened but it apparently didn't get caught under the extractor. It may have been a little dirty, but the brass looked like it might be a little soft. Well this is plinking ammo and I hope it will be good for reloading.

Now I haven't done a lot of rifle shooting for years. So far I haven't experimented with different powder loads with my reloads. Just got a tickler so will try to make some really consistent loads for testing. My Hornady LNL powder measure does not always throw the most consistent loads. However, considering all that and that this is a 16" semi-auto, I was pretty happy.