• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My boy can shoot!

98Z5V

So, two Sundays ago, I take the kid to the local range.  Goes out to 600 yards.  Started him out on the M4 with CMMG .22LR bolt.  He put 300 rounds out there, swiss-cheesed his target, and really took to the fundamentals well.  I'm happy.

So, I've got the 14.5" gun and the 20" precision gun, both 5.56.  He wants to shoot the 14.5 gun.  Well, alright.    <thumbsup>  I had him loading his own mags the whole day, and loading into CMMG .22 mags sucks.  He got that quick.  He kinda liked loading 5.56 into the 20-rd Pmags, so I let him shoot the 14.5 gun - and he did well.

Now, in the meantime, I'm on the 20" gun.  I started at the 100yd target to confirm zero, and it's on.  I go to the 200, 300, 400  - spent some time on holdovers on the 400 - then the 500 and 550.  The kid is watching through the spotting scope...    ;D  I loaded up the only 40 rounds of Black Hills 77gr SMK that I had, and I transitioned to the 600yd target. 

I ripped that damn thing apart.  Slayed it.  Just using holdovers and not playing with scope adjustments, I hit over 30 of the 40 on steel.  The kid was freaking out...    :o

He wanted on the 20" gun.  I put him in there with some 68gr AMAX, and he was on the 100 and 200, but didn't hit the 300 at all.  I told him to be patient, and he couldn't understand using holdovers for range. 

Jakeonthe14-52.jpg

Jakeonthe14-51.jpg

We went back last weekend...  ;D

SO, last weekend we go back out there.  I've got a couple Army buddies in town, so I take a bunch of guns with me so they can shoot.  I took the .308 out there so I could shoot, but that's what the other two guys were all over (with the 20" 5.56 gun).  My son is busy loading the CMMG .22 mags again - doing much better, I might add - and tightening up his shooting on it.  Very good. 

Well, he wanted on the .308 at the end of the range session.  It's got the 2lb Jard trigger in there, and even though he did alright with that trigger in the 20" gun, I didn't trust his trigger control with the .308.  I loaded one round per mag for him.    <dontknow>

I already warned him ahead of time about the recoil.  He shot the .22 a TON, then he thought the recoil from 5.56 was really something.  Compared to the .22.  I talked to him abaout the .308, and he saw us shoot it, and he wanted a go at it. 

Now, he's 14, 5-foot 4-inches, and 102lbs...  He ain't Ah-nold...  <laughs>

One round in the mag, he fires...  OOOOOOWWWW!!!  AGAIN! 

Right on, boy.  <thumbsup>

Here's the first shot from it (first pic)

Jake3081.jpg

...then his face when the "OOOOOOWWW!!!" came out...  <lmao>

Jake3082.jpg

Tomorrow, we shoot my new .45...  <thumbsup>

We went back out today.  MAN, I love my new Kimber!!!  ;D 

My boy dug into my secret stash of .22LR CCI MiniMags.  He managed to blow through a 500-rd box.

His targets previously were looking decent, but he started to put it all together today.  He's been saving his "favorite" target every week, but he threw the older ones away today when he brought this one home.  25 yards, and he's getting it.  <thumbsup>

post-71-13629726598_thumb.jpg

Did you tell him he was holding the rifle on the wrong shoulder?

<lmao>

Man, you know I did, too!  <laughs>  I worked with him prior to going out the first time, and he'd shoulder the rifle on the right shoulder, then screw his head all the way over to the side so he could sight with his left eye - it was strange.  I worked with him on using his right eye, but that wasn't happenning, not at all.  Did a little "dominant eye test," and sure as hell, he's left eye dominant.  At that point I taught him how to shoulder it left handed...  <dontknow> ;D

It'll take awhile to get him to use his right eye, but once he gets that, he'll be able to shoot pistol with both eyes open.  <thumbsup>

Before and after pics, of his progress on the rifle over 3 weekends.  Now, he's been shooting a CO2 powered pellet pistol since he was 7.  His transition to the M4 .22LR rifle has been excellent, and he's picking it up quickly.  Two week period, three weekends in a row.  I think he's getting it.  <thumbsup>

He's been a sponge for information and practice, but he's trying to learn everything too fast.  I keep slowing him down, but it's working.

First target, shooting at the thing all afternoon:

JakeTargetBefore.jpg

Last weekend, doing much better at grouping.  There's a couple .45 ACP holes in there, too. <thumbsup>

JakeTargetAfter.jpg

We'll keep going out there until he can out shoot me.  Instruction ceases right then...  <laughs>

I sure as hell hope not - he can learn to shoot all he wants.  I'll supply him in .22LR, but if he thinks he's going to keep shooting 5.56, he's about to learn...  J.  O.  B.  When he sees the next receipt for a case of 5.56, he'll think again. 

"J O B if you want your F D E, kid!"   <lmao>

By the way, I did damage the current crop of FDE the other night.  It'll get delivered to my FFL on the 20th, so I'll have a few pics up shortly thereafter.  <thumbsup>