• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Training Goals

Shooting is a blast. I have a purpose for shooting. For me it is training. Here are my major training goals, not broken up into methods or steps - just major milestones in order. I am working on a training plan using specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time bound criteria. YES I do also just blast away for fun. 

The progression is single to multiple targets, single shot to multiple shots to rapid fire, known to unknown distances, static to moving targets, turret adjustment to hold over only, then mixed variables - all with excellent fundamentals. For example:

1. Hit a stationary target with a single shot at known distance.
  2. Rapid fire on single stationary target at known distance using turret and hold over
  3. Hit multiple targets at known distances with single shots with turret adjustments 
  4. Hit multiple targets at known distances with single shots with hold overs 
  5. Hit multiple targets at known distances with rapid fire with turret adjustments and hold overs 
  6. Hit single targets at unknown distances with single shots (turret adjustments then hold overs)
  7. Hit single targets at unknown distances with rapid fire (turret adjustments then hold overs)
  8. Hit multiple targets at unknown distances with single shots (turret adjustments then hold overs)

Et cetera...

Does anyone else have training goals they can share?

I shot high power courses of fire from my 1960 USMC boot camp days with the.3006 M1 thru civilian high power courses until 1985 on a regular basis.  All with iron sights.  I hunt  and punch paper  with glass sights and iron sights.  Practice is the key to being a good shooter. I am still blessed with good  uncorrected eyesight at 78 years of age.

Keep a regular shooting log book and refer to your shooting history and sight dope , ammo information  often.  

And by all means practice, practice some more, and  persevere!

I think you have commendable goals. I hope some of your practice sessions will include using competition grade iron sights if you have good eyes.

Goals?  Surely do!

1. Train multiple other NRA Cheif Range Safety Officers to free up my time from training Range Safety Officers.  Met.

2.  Mint a platoon of NRA Certified Instructors in multiple disciplines, who can work part time for me so that every class is able to be covered whether I'm there or not.  In progress.

3. Travel to get continuing training for myself and more senior instructors, to include different schools of thought on tactics and long-term SHTF medical training.

Goals?  Surely do!

1. Train multiple other NRA Cheif Range Safety Officers to free up my time from training Range Safety Officers.  Met.

2.  Mint a platoon of NRA Certified Instructors in multiple disciplines, who can work part time for me so that every class is able to be covered whether I'm there or not.  In progress.

3. Travel to get continuing training for myself and more senior instructors, to include different schools of thought on tactics and long-term SHTF medical training.

Funny you mention this as I just signed up for my first NRA instructors course.

I have been a NRA Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun Instructor since attending the first NRA Instructors School at the NRA Whittington Center in June of 1977. My wife also completed that school. 

The most satisfaction I had was starting 8 and 10 year old boys and girls on the Daisy BB Gun shooting team and the 11 to 18 year old kids with .22 NRA target rifle competition in the club's 50' indoor range. We won the regional competition several years and competed in the Texas State 4H club championships at A&M in College Station. Every shooter had to pass the NRA Junior Marksmanship course,

I have been a NRA Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun Instructor since attending the first NRA Instructors School at the NRA Whittington Center in June of 1977. My wife also completed that school. 

The most satisfaction I had was starting 8 and 10 year old boys and girls on the Daisy BB Gun shooting team and the 11 to 18 year old kids with .22 NRA target rifle competition in the club's 50' indoor range. We won the regional competition several years and competed in the Texas State 4H club championships at A&M in College Station. Every shooter had to pass the NRA Junior Marksmanship course,

Awesome!  Hats off my friend!  I agree that new shooters are the best students.  Just great!

Funny you mention this as I just signed up for my first NRA instructors course.

Congratulations!  Always keep learning, always strive to provide the answers to all the questions you will receive.  You're coming in during a time of transition in the way courses are taught.  Go with the flow, forget the naysayers, come out on top.

In 2014 the local Boy Scout council paid for my way to a joint NRA/BSA NRA Training Counselor Workshop, in exchange for training 2 classes of local Boy Scout NRA Firearms Instructors per year for two years.  A bit over one year into the program, myself and my cohort have conducted 5 classes and minted about 40 NRA Instructors, most holding two disciplines of Rifle and Shotgun.  Those that work with BSA Venture/Explorer crews have also become Pistol certified instructors, which total us out at somewhere around 100 certifications.  For the local Boy Scout Council.

At last year's Council Shooting Sports Day we had about 85 kids participate in archery, sling shot, BB gun, air gun, rifle, shotgun, pistol, and muzzle loading events.  This year we are expecting well over 200.

That is great, BSA has always been ahead of the game! As a Boy Scout it was the first real Shooting safety training I ever had. My dad was an old timer, "Just load 'er up and find something to shoot!" 'Don't ever point it at anything you don't want to kill, now go hunt something to eat and watch out that you don't shoot the dog!"

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the 60’s when I was in the Scouts my father was our instructor.   We would go to the Jackson Barracks for indoor rifle practice.   At that time the building was used for god knows everything from and armory to an indoor rifle and pistol range.   Hell it was only had a hundred foot range.   The building is still there, now it is used as so call museum.