• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR .308 Torque spec's

I have a DPMS LR .308 and I am trying to find a list of torque spec's for it. If anyone could direct me as to where I may locate these spec's it would be greatly appreciated. Looking specifically for barrel nut, buffer tube lock nut and flash suppressor spec's.  Thanks to all in advance.

50# to 80# (depending on gas tube alignment) for the barrel nut. As for the castle nut on the buffer tube as well as your muzzle device. Just use common sense with those. All I've ever done is tighten them down, and then add a little extra umph (yeah...it's a technical term) to them. Once again, paying attention to alignment (timing) on the muzzle device.

Welcome aboard Doc.

Thanks Rsquared, I appreciate the info and the welcome. I love this site because it covers everything especially 308.  Not many sites cover things about the LR 308's.  I now have a new problem, I am not sure if I did it right or not but when I got my new quad rail from Monstrum Tactical I put the barrel nut on and torqued it to 30# and then backed off, doing this 3 times the reset it at 30# and started trying to fit my gas tube after each movement of the barrel nut which I moved up in 5# increments all the way up to 80# and never got my gas tube to go all the way through to the receiver of the gun. Now I am kind of at a loss. Not sure if I did it wrong or have another problem.  Is there a certain way or end of the barrel nut that must go on first? or do I have the wrong set up? Not sure if I should put shim's in or what size? Could go on with the what if's. If you could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks Rsquared, I appreciate the info and the welcome. I love this site because it covers everything especially 308.  Not many sites cover things about the LR 308's.  I now have a new problem, I am not sure if I did it right or not but when I got my new quad rail from Monstrum Tactical I put the barrel nut on and torqued it to 30# and then backed off, doing this 3 times the reset it at 30# and started trying to fit my gas tube after each movement of the barrel nut which I moved up in 5# increments all the way up to 80# and never got my gas tube to go all the way through to the receiver of the gun. Now I am kind of at a loss. Not sure if I did it wrong or have another problem.  Is there a certain way or end of the barrel nut that must go on first? or do I have the wrong set up? Not sure if I should put shim's in or what size? Could go on with the what if's. If you could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You could gently stone the face of your receiver to just barely remove the anodizing and help your nut lock up where you need it. Torque specs are a guideline, but it all comes down to lining up that gas tube.

Not sure if this helps but this is direct from their site.

- Removal of flash suppressor
- Removal of front sight post/gas block
- Removal of delta ring
- Installation of the barrel nut. Please note that when screwing in the barrel nut, we recommend approximately 35 pounds of torque.  The barrel nut is made of aluminum and over-torqueing may result in damage to the barrel nut.
- If you are installing a low profile gas block, the installation of the low profile gas block
- Screw in the jam nut, Screw in the free float quad rail. Secure with the set screw.
- Replace the front sight post/gas block, if necessary
- Replace the flash suppressor

For a good tutorial on a free float quad rail installation, we recommend viewing NicTaylor00’s outstanding free float installation videos on Youtube:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk0e9LA1wqM
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxylroMyQ2A