• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I am looking for info on chambers and calibers that work in LR rifles and there variants. The 300RCM for example. Why wouldnt it work? Is the head diameter critical to making it work? What about OAL? Magazine deminsions? Gas system pressures? I will not bore you with numbers and measurements. If your interested in helping or discussing please let me know.

If your not let me know that aswell. ;)

P.S. Nice forum and thanks in advance

First off , I know nothing about that caliber , but they make or have made the AR type rifle in a bunch of cal.s , 30'06 being one of the longer ones I can think of of the top of my head .

Some calibers may require a special made mag. & that's where a lot of the cal.s , kinda lose intrest .

Pretty much what ever you like ,if it can be stuffed in a chamber , it can be built . Its just some the things you mentioned, would need to figured out.

Thanks for your reply Survivalshop.

Ive done alot of digging lately and about the only things that offer a problem(i think) are the rim diameter and mag deminsions.

The rim and base on the 300rcm is .532 and the .308 wincheter is .473 rim and .470 base.If there is someone who makes larger bolt faces it could work. Maybe the bolt face of a 308 bolt can be enlarged a bit?? I dont know. Maybe someone with more experience than I could answer that one.

As far as magazines are conserned I could probably make a 308 or some other mag work if the the length was reloaded to the correct length.?

The reason I even bring it up is the oal and the smooth taper are ideal for semi-autos(again I think) and the power would put it right at the sweet spot for everything on the North American continent ( maybe not brown bears but who gets to hunt that <dontknow>).

All this in one package that happens to be in my semi-auto.

As you can tell this idea is festering and truthfully keeps me up at night. Someone please put me out of my misery.

Correct me if Im wrong but didnt I see a 300 wsm in a semi-auto somewhere?

The rim and base on the 300rcm is .532 and the .308 wincheter is .473 rim and .470 base.If there is someone who makes larger bolt faces it could work. Maybe the bolt face of a 308 bolt can be enlarged a bit??

For something like this, the only person I could think of that you could contact - and hope he might be interested - is Marty at Teppo Jutsu. 

http://www.teppojutsu.com/

He does some pretty amazing work with the AR-15 and larger calibers.

This is his awesome response. Just as I thought it is very doable. Handloads would be required but I load anyway.

<munch>

"Thank you for your note and your interest in our products and services.  My apologies for not replying sooner, I was traveling overseas, which brings me to my next topic:  we have powered down our shop in anticipation of our move overseas for a few years on an extended assignment.  As a result, we are not in a position to take on any new work.  However, we can help you with any of the technical aspects, considering we have built a DPMS LR rifle in the 338 RCM caliber (see pictures attached)."

"To answer your questions:

-          Yes, the bolt can be opened up to fit the rim, ideally you would have one of the RSAUM bolts that DPMS used to have (but no longer makes).  The extractor will be the tricky part

-          The rifle runs fine, you need to open up the ejection port slightly, Paladin Machine Service can do this for you (they can also make the barrel, reach them at TP555@windstream.net)

-          Standard magazines will work, but factory ammo is a little too long, hand loads will be needed.

It was a relatively easy project to build the 338 RCM version and she shot VERY nicely, very mild mannered, low recoil.

We hope this answers your questions, please let us know how we may assist further."

Best regards,

Marty and the Teppo Crew

Teppo Jutsu LLC

Home of the .458 SOCOM

www.teppojutsu.com

th_IMG_2455.jpg

th_IMG_2456.jpg

th_IMG_2461.jpg

Isnt the internet the best thing since sliced bread.