• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Question about DPMS upgrades

Hello everyone - new here.  I've been a shooter all my life, including competitive pistols, but don't have a lot of experience with gas rifles.  Hence, I have some questions that might seem pretty basic.

I'm looking at getting a DPMS LR-308, and was playing around with the "build your rifle" section of their website.  However, I just don't know much about some of the categories listed as potential upgrades, and what the pros/cons were of each of the options under those categories.  Specifically:

what the benefit of upgrading to a chrome bolt carrier is;

how a tactical latch charging handle differs from the stock charging handle; and

the difference between the various gas block upgrades that are available (a jp gas block, a 4 rail gas block, an aluminum gas block, or whatever the stock block is).

Thanks!

Ted

Hi Ted,

Ill take a quick stab at this.

Chrome Carrier: Less friction and easier to keep clean

Tactical Latch - Essentially has large pad on the charging handle latch. Ill attach picture from an AR-15 version

Gas block - Quad rail would be used to attach accessories like lights and lasers. Aluminum is typically the cheapest option and also the lightest. Down side is with use after thousands of rounds the aluminum will bet eaten up by the gases quicker then a heavier stainless block.

JP blocks - JP has many options, from low profile, single picatinny to adjustable gas.  It really depends on what you want to do and which you are curious about.

Tell us more about what your configuring and maybe we  can offer more specific advice.

Thanks for joining

post-1-136297262847_thumb.jpg

I'm wanting to get a "precision" .308 AR-type rifle for target shooting, 200 yards and further.  Not looking to compete - just seeing how good I can get with it and how much accuracy I can squeeze out of it.  Might even take it out hunting on a rare occasion (from a blind- wouldn't be walking around with it).  I want to definitely stay under $2,000 (excluding optics), and preferably around $1700 or lower. 

Been trying to read up on everything out there, and it appears that DPMS is a great overall value.  I was looking at the LR-308 with a 24" bull barrel.  Looking at their upgrade screens on the DPMS website, I was going to go for the black teflon finish on the barrel, the Magpul PRS stock, the Panther Tactical grip, and the A3 style upper.  I'm planning on replacing the trigger myself after I get it, so I just planned on going with the stock trigger.  Not sure about what other "upgrades" I should consider.  Looks like the JP gas block they offer is the adjustable one.  Also not sure if I should go with a bipod adapter and/or bipod from DPMS, or get an aftermarket one.

Thanks,

Ted

I cant give a full reply now but keep this in mind. The more options you change the longer it will take DPMS to build the rifle. Ive been waiting nearly a year just for a barrel. Typical custom orders are running 18 months and beyond.

I would suggest finding a rifle on the shelf thats closest to what you want and upgrade from there. When I last checked having DPMS provide aftermarket stocks, forearms, gas blocks etc yielded no savings.

You can probably build one faster, and building isn't that bad, difficulty wise.  With a couple specialty tools needed for purchase and build, you could still come out cheaper than buying a complete rifle.

I picked up my stripped lower receiver at the beginning of Feb at a fun show (gun show), and it's only about a week from being a complete, firing rifle.  If you build, you get what you want the first time, and you're not replacing any parts later.

You have options.  ;D