• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Open sights

308kiwi

Hey guys, a question for you all if I may.

I'm thinking of building an 'open sighted' upper for my 308 AR, something along the lines of a NRA High Power type rifle, with aperture sights.

I'm not wanting to get into NRA High Power competition, but am more looking for a new shooting challenge that doesn't employ optics, IE a scope.

Trying to source the correct ones, (that are designed to fit an AR type platform) seems like a minefield.

Also trying to find a dealer that can export them seems just as difficult.

Any info, or advice as to manufacturers and dealers, would be greatly appreciated.

Also have any of you fella's been down this track?

Cheers :cool:

308kiwi, here's another option for you:  http://www.hobby-machinist.com

A few of your countrymen are on that forum and do beautiful work!  There are regional subforums and also a "Can You Make For Me" section.  People do some absolutely beautiful machine work there, with machines professional production machinists scoff at while sneering down their noses.

Could be worth a try.

Cheers,

5 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

308kiwi, here's another option for you:  http://www.hobby-machinist.com

A few of your countrymen are on that forum and do beautiful work!  There are regional subforums and also a "Can You Make For Me" section.  People do some absolutely beautiful machine work there, with machines professional production machinists scoff at while sneering down their noses.

Could be worth a try.

Hi planeflyer21, I'm familiar with the forum you linked, have visited there often, I should just make what I want rather than just buying it, time being the one resource I lack thanks to work and life’s general commitments :-)

I have a pretty well equipped workshop in my basement, including a small 4 axis CNC mill.

Here's a short vid I made a few years ago of my mill making a brake, first thing I made on it after converting it from a manual mill.