• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Build Advice MA-TEN SI and TROY

hunterco

Hello All, I'm new to this forum and tried to successfully use the search function but can't find the answer specifically I'm looking for. I have ordered a Mega Ma-ten combo, SI 20" barrel with extension, and a troy MRF 13.8 quad. a Mk 11 civilian style copy...

When I receive the barrel from SI, is it necessary to take the rifle to a gunsmith to check the headspace? will any thing need to be done other than screw the barrel in? SI said the barrel extension was headspaced for a DPMS bolt so thats what I got. They offered to assemble the upper if I send the parts in, but for a fee; is it worth doing that or is this a simple task?

I also purchased the troy rail that is AR10/DPMS compatible, so hopefully it is the correct height for the MA-TEN, I've stumbled across some negative review from 2009 on the MA-TEN with Troy rails in the early times. I have sent rifles out to be accurized but the smith I contacted no longer does AR's.

Can anyone recommend a smith? Is it necessary or will it be plug-and-play with a DPMS barrel ext and bolt?

Thanks! <munch>

Maybe for a few bucks you can send your bolt to SI and have them verify. It will be cheaper than headspace gages. When possible it's a good idea to get the bolt from the guys supplying the barrel or send the bolt as I suggested. I cant comment on the rest of your stuff but perhaps someone else can.

I'm running the Troy MRF 13.8 rail that you ordered - you'll like it.  Alot.  It should match right up to the rail height on the Mega upper - it matches up with the "older" DPMS rail height on my upper perfectly.  It would be off on their "new" height, though.  The MA-TEN should be a perfect fit with it.

Make sure that you inspect the contents of the box the rail comes in - you'll need the barrel nut that should have come with it, so make sure you look for it.  <thumbsup>

Hunterco,

Can you tell me what the negative comments were on the MA TEN receiver?  I don't recall ever reading anything negative about it, other than one member I believe said the hammer/trigger pin holes were tight on his.  Addressing your question about whether you should pay to have your gun assembled, as 90Z5V suggested, it might be cheaper to pay someone to check your headspace than buying the gauges and doing it yourself. The same applies to assembly, if you don't own any of the tools needed to assemble an AR-15 ,plus the specific tools for your build( barrel nut wrench I'm thinking) it will be cheaper to pay someone to do it. That is of course assuming you don't expect to be doing any more builds in the future. You know how it is with mechanical things, the first time out it always costs more because your buying tools.

Just a note about that rail and it's barrel nut - the barrel nut has two wrench flats on it, so you can put it on and tighten it down with a large crescent wrench.  <thumbsup> 

No special barrel nut device necessary. 

Here is the post on the MA-TEN with the MRF. I think its old enough they have addressed it. I'll figure out the receiver height as soon as my FFL calls me with the combo. One of my buddies owns a gun coating business and has almost every tool, he should have 308 stuff I remember a box of receivers he did for JP.

http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=516132&page=7

Thanks!

That was a speculation on Troy's part, at best, since the MA-TEN was so new then.  The giveaway on that was they didn't know if the MA-TEN used DPMS threading.  It does.

Taken from that thread:

Me: Would you happen to know if the MRF-308 will work on a Mega MA-10? Would the to rail on the MRF and the top rail on the upper receiver line up?

Troy: The MRF .308 will not work with the Mega MA-10 unless the upper receiver has DPMS style threading and can accept the barrel nut that we provide. The upper receiver will also have to be the same height and have the same timing as the DPMS upper receiver. Chances are they do not have either. This handguard will not fit on the barrel nut that comes standard on the rifle. Thank you.

There's no true industry standard for the .308 ARs, that's correct, but most companies are following a loose set of rules - rail heights are pretty much common, with exceptions, most dimensions are pretty much the same (FCG locations), etc.

I'm not sure if anyone has actually put the MRF-308 rail on a MA-TEN yet, based on speculation.  You'll need the DPMS-threaded barrel nut for the MRF-308, for sure, and I'd bet that it fits up fine.