• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

POF compatable upper

Jgun

First off, I don't want anyone to hold me responsible if they should try this and are dissatisfied with the results, but, for those of you that don't find a straightforward  .308 AR build challenging enough, I see that  desertfox01 over at snipershide, is selling A3 type upper receivers that are designed to mate up to the POF .308 lower receiver. I have no idea what kind of fit or quality you will get but it's got me thinking about a POF based build again.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure just what I'm going to do with it but I decided to take a chance and ordered a POF .308 lower receiver and one of the POF compatible upper receivers that I mentioned in the last post. I'll be sure to take some pictures of the set, once I've got both pieces in my hands.

• 3 weeks later...

I was planning to wait until my POF lower arrived (en route, will be here beginning of the week), but when I came in today and this was waiting, I couldn't help myself, so I decided to post a couple of admittedly bad pics of the new POF compatible upper to see what you guys think. I don't have many .308 parts on hand right now so I couldn't check barrel extension fit, but the barrel nut, BCG and charging handle all seem to fit OK. The rail height looks good also. It fits on my Kaiser lower and the fit at the back is excellent although I couldn't pin it because of the pin OD difference.  At this point I still don't know how the fit will be on the POF lower, and I'm also not sure how the finish will match between the upper and lower, but if I'm not satisfied with it, I will make this my first desert tan or FDE build.

post-164-13629726807_thumb.jpg

post-164-136297268071_thumb.jpg

post-164-136297268072_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up one of those from Desertfox1 over at Snipershide and also one of his done with the POF rail attached that he called his "builders kit". I'm impressed with his fit and finish and prices.  He sold me a couple of his charging handles for $35 apiece and it's high quality imho.  I'm going with the Magpul PRS and an Ilja 18" stainless barrel on the one with the rail  ;D

Sounds like you've at least got a plan, not yet for me. I'm thinking I'll just buy parts as I come across something that gets me excited (like the upper) and see where the build takes me. I look forward to seeing pictures of your build posted here. Good luck with it!

• 1 month later...

Hogan Manufacturing, It's my understanding that he used to build them for POF but is on his own now.  Was selling them out of the GB on a couple of the boards.

I decided to go with another barrel for my first build instead of the Lilja.  Someone on another thread suggested the Superior Barrels 22" one that comes with a matching bolt.

http://www.shop.superiorbarrels.com/product.sc?productId=118&categoryId=15

So I ordered on Saturday and it was shipped this morning.  They are using Douglas air gauged barrels profiled and chambered by Compass Lake Engineering.  I'll try and get those pics up today, it's my day off.

Here's a couple of pics of mine.  They both have the RRA two stage trigger.  Don't know which one I will put the Superior Barrels 22" on yet.  I was thinking of using the flattop for long range and the POF 11" railed one for a 16" build.  Have to decide when the barrel gets here this week.  ::)

post-979-136297269126_thumb.jpg

Yeah, they are very inexpensive compared to the other sets on the market. I'm not sure that they are going to appeal to everyone, because your dealing with a non matched set, and not everyone likes to go that route. But if your the kind of person that put's together AR 15's using uppers and lowers sourced from different Mfg's I think of these as the .308 equivilant, besides being, IMHO, much nicer than a DPMS upper/lower set. Of course, I have yet to assemble mine, so can't actually comment on it's functional quality. We all have read about the Iron Ridge issues. Until I put mine together and actually function test, the jury is still out on them as far as I'm concerned.

My one set, with the rail is marked POF on both the upper and lower so I would think they are matched.  The other one is marked POF on the lower but not the upper.  But, It's my understanding that Doug was the one building the POF branded ones also and broke away from the company when it was sold.  He built the upper to specifically match the lower.  My flat top fits just as solid as the POF upper and lower matched set.

I really like the railed one though, if he has any left I might just be tempted....... ::)

Last time I talked with Doug he was getting some blanks in to turn some barrels.

I would be inclined to agree, the ones with the rail appear to duplicate the configuration of the POF piston  rifles, and if I'm not mistaken, because of the interface between the top of the upper and the extension of the rail that fits over it, I would think that the predator rail would be the only one that would be compatible with it. The flat top on the other hand, is made by Doug, and to my knowledge has never been available before. Mine is marked MOLON LABE. I have seen the POF configuration lowers marked as POF and also some marked as Hogan.  So when I refer to an unmatched set I am specifically referring to the flat tops, which is what I purchased.