• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First .308 Build PROBLEM

2gunkid

Hey guys, 2gunkid here and this is my first post. I decided to go ahead to join a .308 dedicated forum to help me out with this build since 4 local gun shops and the respective companies who provided the parts are all no help! This is my first Build chambered in .308. I have a Davidson Defense upper paired on an Aero precision lower And I'm using a LR .308 BCG I ordered from brownells ( i think brownells is the manufacturer, great deal couldn't pass it up.) 

So here's where the malfunction is, The upper and the lower seat together perfectly with no magazine inserted. If you insert the magazine the magazine catch does not catch. ( I've replaced the mag catch already (even though it was brand new) not the problem.  Now If i Open up the ar and place the magazine in the lower it works as intended ( only when the rear take down pin is off and the upper and lower pivot on the front take down pin).  If i were to leave the magazine inserted while it is open and then proceed to re-close the AR the magazine will get stuck to where even the magazine release wouldn't let the mag fall freely, not even pulling the magazine. So far I've sent the upper back to the manufacturer for inspection, they fitted the upper with an Aero lower and said they fit together, fitting together wasn't my question, fitment with a magazine inserted does not work. so they sent the upper back with a good luck message. I've also tried polymer and Steel Mags, No difference. All local gun shops are puzzled. Please Help!

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

THIS is the issue. Research the company.  Buy an Aero upper receiver, and put that Davidson Defense upper on GunBroker... 

Ok so I bought a complete upper receiver and I had the whole thing cerakoted FDE, Can i just remove the stripped upper receiver, buy an Aero Stripped upper and use the same barrel/handguard?

Certainly, no reason why you can't.  Verify the thread pitch on that Davidson upper, should be same at the AP upper (DPMS pattern).  If it's not the same at the AP, that means the Davidson is threaded Armalite pattern.  That would be the only thing that could stop you.

About twice a year, I feel the need to post a Public Service Announcement...

First, research the company address, then input that address into your search engine, and check out all the matches.  One of those matches will lead you to this:

https://www.bbb.org/utah/business-reviews/gun-dealers/delta-team-tactical-in-orem-ut-22290621/reviews-and-complaints?section=reviews&reviewtype=negative

37 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

About twice a year, I feel the need to post a Public Service Announcement...

First, research the company address, then input that address into your search engine, and check out all the matches.  One of those matches will lead you to this:

https://www.bbb.org/utah/business-reviews/gun-dealers/delta-team-tactical-in-orem-ut-22290621/reviews-and-complaints?section=reviews&reviewtype=negative

Sheesh, Well I must say I've had some problems with the company, didn't know it was that drastic, have built Multiple AR's and this is the first time i'm having problems with functionality. I definitely need another company with similar pricing points. A lot of there deals are unbeatable though. Tisk Tisk.

16 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

How does the takedown pin feel when the two receivers are together? Does it line up perfect? I’m almost inclined to say the lower may be out of spec.... pictures would help a lot as well as links to you upper please

I will take some pictures later when I get out of Jail, hell... I mean work.

They buy alot of "blems" from other companies, and put stuff together by incorporating those parts.  Along with (stated by others) alot of cheap chinese parts.  So, the question really is: are those blems "cosmetic" or were they functional blems?...  Looks like that upper was a functional blem...

No big deal, and easy to fix.  Might not be cheap to fix, but it's not hard to do.  Hopefully, others see this, down the road, and they consider their parts source. 

"Buy once, cry once" can be a direct insult, when someone is telling you to buy a $4,500 rifle - that's BS.  However, parts should always be sourced from reputable manufacturers and reputable vendors.  "The cheapest" out there is usually that way for a reason.  I'm just sayin'...  Warning to others...

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

They buy alot of "blems" from other companies

So does that mean, the completed Aero precision. 308 upper with lpk and minimalist stock, everything minus BCG lower and CH for 279.99 is not worth it? this is a deal that was emailed to me today from Delta Team Tactical

Might be worth taking it - it'll be an AP upper, probably a blem.  AP only sells cosmetic blems, and their functional blems go in the trash, so it'll work.  It won't be an AP barrel, or any other AP parts, though - just generic stuff. 

And...   will you receive it?...  The big question is, will they be prompt about it?...

Edited by 98Z5V

18 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

And...   will you receive it?...  The big question is, will they be prompt about it?...

I'm thinking about taking the gamble, at that price I could at least re-sale what i dont use and benefit from what i keep, and they seem like they done a "revamp" recently with shipping and staffing. I'm going to give them one more chance.

2 hours ago, 2gunkid said:

and they seem like they done a "revamp" recently with shipping and staffing.

They always seem like that. Those are the excuses that they just rotate through, in order, to explain their junk.  And it's junk.  You have some of it in your hands, now.

Here's the deal, man.  You're already talking about reselling things.  Yeah, how much you gonna make?  Gonna recover your costs?  No.

Just eat it, and pick up an AP M5 upper receiver, and throw that Davidson upper in the trash.  You'll be far better off, have less headaches, sleep better at night, all your missing hair will grown back, you'll lose 20lbs, and appear more attractive to the opposite sex. 

Write them the bad review on the out-of-spec part that they sold you - because YOU deserve to, and YOU are a first-hand person of their junk, that can warn the next guy...

Don't even fuk around with that company anymore - the history is there, and I gave it to you.  Read all those BBB Reviews.  That's the BBB, man!  Search online for all the OTHER shiit reviews on this place.

It's your money, so do what you want, but think about this - why are you here?  You had a problem with your rifle, and you had to find a solution, and you found THIS place. We do this all the time, with less-than-quality parts.  Imagine the frustration from this side of the fence for a minute...  You have any idea how tiring this is, dragging information out of someone, just in order to find out the REAL problem?  It'll fucking wear you OUT.

Now, recommendations aren't made lightly here.  We don't mess around, and we tell you what is gonna FIX your rifle.  You can either take that advice, or not. 

Now, you're talking about giving them "another chance..."  Do it, go ahead.  When you get that upper in, don't post a thread here about the newest thing that's a problem with it. Don't. We don't need to hear it, we don't wanna drag the information out, we don't wanna help - with junk parts.

Sucks to hear, I know  - I just wish you were on the other side of it - and you WILL be, once you're a gunsmith, running a shop, and dealing with these shiit-parts. 

You can get a free education right now, and learn - or you can learn the hard way.  You decide. 

On 6/7/2018 at 10:32 PM, 98Z5V said:

Sucks to hear, I know  - I just wish you were on the other side of it - and you WILL be, once you're a gunsmith, running a shop, and dealing with these shiit-parts. 

No, I totally agree with you. After the weekend I just realized my Patience is making alot of my decisions. Delta Team Tactical Will be slandered. I just re-read my emails and stuff and it brought back all the frustration. Holding this rifle that I bought at CHRISTMAS, yet we're entering summer and I havent chambered a single round in it definitely hit me where it hurts, And it's affecting the way I view the .308 platform.