• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Proprietary barrel nut blocking gas tube

I'm replacing the factory barrel and the factory FF handguard.  The new handguard uses a proprietary barrel nut similar to the one pictured (not exactly, the one pictured is an AR-15 nut downloaded from the internet, but they look about the same).  There is no keyway of any kind for the gas tube, it's not a timing issue, and the barrel nut is large enough in diameter to slightly block the cloverleaf in the upper receiver so that they gas tub won't fit through.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

John

New AR15 15 Ultra Slim Keymod Handguard W Steel Barrel Nut (1)-800x800.jpg

Who made the handguard? I ran into this on a cheap handguard I had got this summer, sent it back for a refund. It was supposedly made in Ohio but it looked like Chinese junk. Can’t remember the brand but the nut looked very similar.

EDIT;

Acme Machine: https://www.acmemachine.com/products/ar-308-15-ultralight-keymod-gen-ii-free-float-handguard?variant=12380785672277

Edited by jtallen83
clarity

Barrel nuts like that pictured are supposed to be of smaller diameter so as to let the Gas Tube pass into the Upper Receiver with out restriction . From the looks of the type of Nut , it can be turned down on a lathe to allow Gas Tube clearance with out restriction into the Upper Receiver & keep enough threads for HG clamping Screws. Of course that would all depend on how much the Barrel Nut is restricting the Gas Tube passage .

You can also set up the Barrel with proper torque & mark where the passage of the Gas Tube will pass over the Barrel Nut & make clearance for it .

Or you can contact the Manufacturer about the issue  & or return the item for full refund .

• 8 months later...